chapter twenty-one

Chapter Twenty-One

Everywhere I went, even if he wasn't there, it felt like he was. I still had his jersey in my closet, and I wore it to bed a couple of nights a week. I still listened to the radio, missing him being there to listen to it with me. I went out to the soccer field and kicked enough goals to make my feet sore. I would run until I was too exhausted to be upset. Even if the field was frosty, I was out there playing just about every afternoon.

Everything started to thaw around March. By that point, I could walk by his desk in study hall and not feel a thing. I was impressed with my own discipline. I only looked at him once or twice when he wasn't paying attention. He was keeping it together on the surface too, and I couldn't tell how I felt about it.

I stopped listening to the songs that reminded me of him on repeat after a while. I stopped looking at pictures of him for the most part, but I kept a photo of us as my wallpaper for my phone. It was taken at the Christmas party before it all fell apart.

Even Shea and I were back on speaking terms. Once she noticed Jared and I weren't together anymore, she was nicer to me. After her initial self-righteousness passed, that is. I took that as a good sign. I wanted to be amicable for the remainder of the year.

We were all getting college decisions in the mail. Risa had been accepted to USC and had already committed to the school. Shea was going to Northwestern, and I was still waiting for Brown. I'd been accepted a few places already, Stanford being my main contender. Stanford would be so far from home, but I knew they were a great school I wouldn't mind attending. The soccer program was strong and they'd offered me a huge scholarship.

But I still wanted to hear back from Brown.

I needed to hear back from Brown.

The decision came near the end of March during study hall. I opened the email, unable to contain my gasp when I saw it. I shot up in my seat, dropping my phone on the floor and making a fool of myself.

Accepted.

With a full ride.

To my dream school.

I couldn't believe it. I stammered and pointed at my phone. Risa picked it up slowly, her eyes skimming over the email. Her face lit up as she gave me a huge hug.

"Congratulations, Laura!" she squealed.

A few kids shushed us, so we sat back down and quieted.

"Laura got into Brown and got the scholarship," she whispered to Shea.

Shea reached out for a high-five. "Hell yeah! That's our girl!"

I wiped my eyes, feeling a bit ridiculous for crying. "Thanks, guys."

"No problem," Risa said. "It's not every day someone gets into an Ivy League! And Stanford too! My best friend is a genius. A goddamn genius!"

I blushed. "I'm so happy. I didn't think I'd get in."

"I knew you would. We all did," Risa responded matter-of-factly.

Right after she spoke, the bell rang, cutting into our conversation. We grabbed our bags and packed our stuff to get over to our next classes. My excitement was impossible to contain. I was bouncing.

"You guys want to get a celebration pie and study for the AP tests we have coming up?" Risa asked as we headed out the door.

"I'm in," Shea said. "We're all doing pretty damn great."

"I'm down," I chimed in. "Jesus Christ, I can't believe I got into Brown!"

I realized Jared could overhear our conversation the second he called my name. "Laura? Can I talk to you?"