chapter sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Risa was flying.

Feet coming rapidly, one in front of the other. She was racing to the end of the field to score the winning shot. I watched her from the goal box, wondering how it was possible for time to slow down.

The clock kept counting backward, but everything else seemed to be at a standstill. My own heart was pounding just watching it play out. I redeemed myself by blocking their latest attempts at scoring, Shea had gotten us tied with them, and now Risa was on her second wind, ready to score the goal that could win Championships.

And she made it.

I watched the ball go flying, watched the goalie miss it just by her fingertips, and stood dazed as the realization set in. Final score? 5-4. We had won.

The lights above us in the stadium were unrelenting, shining down on us as we raced across the field for a massive group hug. I was one of the last to get to Risa. As soon as I could do it, I was squeezing her tight around the waist and lifting her up off the ground.

She kicked at me, laughing and pushing at my sweaty jersey. "Laura, put me down!"

I dropped her, bouncing up and down. "You did it, R!"

"So did you, goalie," Risa said. "It wouldn't have been possible without you."

"I think we can all agree this was a team effort," I replied.

Another wave of hugs and cheers passed as we high-fived the other team. The adrenaline was fresh as it coursed through our veins. All of us were ecstatic, beyond ecstatic. We were high on victory.

Jared was beaming on the sidelines too. "You guys killed it out there!"

I still had an arm around Risa, the smile plastered on my face. "Hell yeah we did!"

"So it's a little past one." Jared glanced down at his watch. "How about I get you guys lunch? Does pizza sound good?"

"Who are you and what have you done with Coach Harper?" Shea said, clearly surprised.

"What? Am I not allowed to reward my team for winning Championships?" He emphasized the word, practically glowing on our behalf. "That was amazing, so I'm gonna get you guys pizza."

"Awesome!" Gen exclaimed. "This day just keeps getting better!"

We walked out to the parking lot as a small hoard of sweaty, but unwaveringly excited teenagers. We had come this far and won Championships. The gravity of what that meant still hadn't quite settled with me yet.

"Hey, Laura?" Risa prompted.

"Yeah?"

"I may have just scored the winning shot, but you're the one who's getting lucky tonight." She said the words under her breath so only I could hear them.

"I hate you," I said through nervous giggles.

"Yeah, okay." She ruffled my hair. "Love you too."

I followed her onto the bus and sat back in my seat, still in utter disbelief. We really aced it out there. There was nothing better than working hard and succeeding in the end, as cheesy as that sounds.

Jared texted me just minutes later, making the day even better.

Jared: I'm so proud of you

Me: that means a lot coming from you, but it really is Risa's win

Jared: you played a major role. they didn't score on you at all during the second half

Jared: and I don't just mean I'm proud of you because of soccer