❨09❩

♀︎

Dragging my feet into school Monday morning hurts my soul, I want to be with my family. Mom hasn't said a word to me, she didn't even thank me for cleaning up her mess. If we are being honest, she probably doesn't even remember, but still, just the smallest recognition would have been nice. It took me a while to clean up, she had puked on the carpet and the entire house was wrecked. Now it looks as if nothing ever occurred. 

My dad believed me when I called him up and said that she came home and ate an entire ice cream, but that she was fast asleep. It's against his way of life that I'm lying to him, but I have to protect him from the truth. Telling him could very well stress him enough to the point where it's too much and he gives up. I'm still waiting for the upcoming miracle so I don't want to delay the process of my dad being healthy again. 

Chem is the first period of my day and I skipped last time we had it, hence me being placed in a random group for the upcoming assignment, that will be exciting. Usually that means a group with ignorant members, a group with lazy members or with the silent girl in the back of the class. Oh right, I have become that girl now. 

Stopping by my locker I grab my books and walk to the dreaded class, it's annoying that I have to do an assignment. The teachers don't know what is going on, but I would like for everything to go away for a moment. Just to give me some space and time to breathe, I really need it. Senior year has attacked me from behind and with the news of my dad on top of that, everything just sucks.

There is one other person in the class when I step inside, he's sitting by my usual table in the back. Deciding I don't care I sit down next to him, throwing my bag onto the floor and slamming my books onto the table. If he has an issue he can tell me straight up, not that it would make me leave. 

"No reason to be so loud this early in the morning," Stranger says, ruffling his hair as he stares out of the window, kind of annoying he grabbed the window seat, but this will have to do. I surely won't move further up, that would only be a recipe for disaster. Especially if the teacher realizes I actually decided to show up to class. 

"I'm not loud," I say. 

His body tenses as our eyes meet, the familiarity of looking into the intense stare of his becomes strange and I try to ignore the way my body hums by having him close. 

"You," He states. 

"Yeah, last time I checked at least."

"You weren't here when we had chemistry last week."

I nod at him, ignoring the flutters in my chest, "Nicely observed."

He leans in slightly and my breath hitches, his green eyes captivate my own as I will myself to remember the blessed gift of oxygen, "Thank you, love. Nice of you to join us this week."

"What's your name?" I blurt before I can stop myself, the anticipation of not knowing has been killing me for some reason. Remembering him as stranger isn't fair to him, I want to know his name. My obvious need to learn more about him clearly peaks his interest as he smiles at me.

"I'm Elijah," He introduces as he grabs my hand from the table in a greeting, tingles run up my arms immediately, torturing me. 

They dim down the second he lets go of my hand again and I smile at him, "It suits you. Hi, Elijah, I'm Dakota."

A small smirk plays on his lips, "Hey, Dakota. Although, I did catch that after your friend's dramatic entrance at the party."

An involuntary shiver runs down my body as he says my name, I hide my arms that are now covered in goosebumps, "She can be quite the handful, but very harmless."

"She was more than ready to get drunk with you though, is that not all you can ask of a true friend?" He teases, the smirk widening. 

"That's exactly what I say. Did you leave though? I didn't see you at the actual party."

He shrugs at me and avoids my eyes, a dark cloud suddenly looming over his head, "Not my thing."

The shift in mood is very obvious, he's now avoiding looking in my direction as he focuses on the rain again, he even moved away from me. I didn't say anything wrong, so I don't get why he is coming at me with an attitude. Rolling my eyes, I cross my arms in front of my chest and throw myself into the chair. Guys and their mood swings, I swear they are intolerable. 

Students suddenly storm into the classroom, the buzzing sounds of conversation peaks my interest, but I don't care enough to listen. It's probably some pathetic rumor from the party and I hate those. Instead I glance outside and enjoy the trickling sound of rain hitting the windows. It is amazing how a very normal thing can be so beautiful, I absolutely love the rain and Hetdale has a lot of it. 

Every sound inside the class suddenly stops and my curiosity gets the better of me as I stare as well, Caspar steps inside sporting a dark bruise around his eye and a split lip. Ouch, someone must have gotten to him before I could. A shame, really. 

He glares at me when he comes closer, "Do not fucking think you will get away with this, freckles," He threatens in a whisper. 

I haven't done anything, so I truly am confused on why he's targeting me like that. 

"You know," I whisper back, leaning closer to him as well. "The word 'freckles' ruined the creepy vibes you attempted to accomplish there. An A for effort though."

He huffs as he stalks away from me, sitting down in a free seat. He's always had an issue with me, but this time it really isn't my fault. I had nothing to do with him getting beat up and I think he knows it, too. Deep down. Or else he wouldn't be threatening me in the open space of a classroom, he is smarter than that ... I think. 

I shake my head and rid myself from whatever the fuck just happened there, looking towards the window again, Elijah's expression catches my eye. He is glaring at Caspar, a glare with such pure hatred it makes a cold shiver run down my spine. 

When he realizes I'm staring he looks away from both of us, staring out of the window again. Right now I'm only praying to God that Elijah doesn't have anything to do with this, it can't be the best start somewhere new, to beat up the school's quarterback. For now I will let it slide though, because in reality I really don't know what is going on.