❨35❩

♀︎

"It's a pretty harsh sight, girls," I warn Dani and Relly before we enter my dad's hospital room. He is still in a coma, but the two of them demanded to see him after I told them today. It's Friday tomorrow which means they're leaving for their senior trip, but they refused to leave before saying hi to my dad. They've known him for so many years and it's not like my mom visits, I'm the only visitor he has, so he will probably appreciate them stopping by. "He won't be the fun Zach, he won't crack any jokes, he won't even open his eyes."

They nod at me and I open the door to his room, the small gasp comes from Relly as both of them tear up by looking at him. It looks like he's sleeping, but the setting around him and all the tubes going in and out of his body, that is what frightens me. He isn't just sleeping, not this time. 

Relly steps forward and hands him the box of chocolates she brought, "Thought I would bring you some chocolate, Zach. I know you would've hated me for bringing flowers to you, it always was an issue how people gave others flowers only for them to die, right?"

I can't help the small laugh that leaves me, as tears gather in my eyes. She is right, my dad hates flowers, he doesn't understand the concept of them. It always bugged my mom, he had to explain it to her every time he chose chocolate for her birthday instead of flowers, only then did she soften up. He always makes fun of me for having this deep love for flowers, when I was younger I spent hours with the local florist, Mrs. Valentine. She is getting older though, so her shop barely opens these days. Relly bringing him chocolate instead of flowers warms my heart, I told them not to bring anything, but she is a very considerate person and of course she would ignore me. 

Dani steps forward and looks down at him, a tear sliding down her cheek, "I'm here, too, Zach. But as you know me, bringing things to others isn't really my forte, living by the statement that my presence is enough for now. Although, I will cook you your favorite soup once you wake up to make up for it, promise."

The three of us sit down by the couch next to his bed, a nurse placed it in here because I slept here every night. They want me to leave and go home, but I simply can't. It's not even to be a bitch, I can't leave him like this. If this is gonna kill him then it's a need of mine to be here as much as possible. Relly and Dani have been amazing to support me through this, they are saddened by the sudden reversal of circumstances. The thought of him never talking again, it scares me. 

Grabbing my dad's wrist, I run my free hand through his hair, allowing it to fall backwards. He doesn't as much as budge by my touch, not that it surprises me. Although there is a bubble of disappointment that shatters inside me every time, I should know by now that this state can be permanent for him. 

"We're going to get through this, Kota," Dani assures me while rubbing my back lightly, she stops almost immediately knowing how bad I am at physical touches like that. "Your dad is one strong and very stubborn man."

"It feels like he's dead already," I blurt, not able to stop myself. 

Meeting the sad eyes of Relly, she nods her head sadly, "I get it, he isn't talking or moving, but he is in there. He can hear you and he is fighting for you, it's only a matter of time."

"The doctors talk about him like they have given up. Dad's assigned doctor, Doctor Wilson, doesn't know what to do anymore. He can't help him anymore and it's so painfully obvious on his face."

Speaking of the devil, his grey hair pops into the room not second later. He introduces himself to my friends with a smile and tends to my dad immediately, checking his vitals and flashing that horrific light in his eyes. His small frame turns towards me, as he takes off his glasses. 

"Ms. Moore, there is no sign of progress on your dad, can you bring your mother in here by any chance?" He asks nicely, the statement hides behind his words, but it's too obvious what he wants to talk to her about. "It's important to give your dad the worthy departure he had hoped for."

Scowling at him, "You're not shutting it off, no."

"Ms. Moore, you need to be realistic about this-"

"Don't tell me in which manner I should treat nor react to this situation. That decision is mine to make, entirely. If you have an issue with how this is playing out, then I suggest you get another doctor on this case. Pressuring relatives into shutting the machine off, that is highly unprofessional of you. Now I would like for you to leave," Placing a hand on my dad in a protective manner. 

"But, the patient needs to leave the world when he asks for-"

"The so-called patient is my dad! He is a human being just as much as anyone else, if he ever decides to wake up then we have to give him that chance. You placed an oath before working in this profession, the Hippocratic Oath, is it? Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. And above all, I must not play God. Now if I remember correctly, which I do, this matter is not up for discussion, not yet at least. This man needs time to heal, my dad, he is a fighter. You have not even given him a week."

Doctor Wilson raises his hands in surrender, "You're correct, Ms. Moore. Excuse me for crossing the line, I apologize."

"Now will you please give us the privacy to talk to my dad?" I ask as politely as possible, the underlying annoyed tone is still visible though. Without another word he leaves the room and closes the door behind him. 

Turning to my friends both of their mouths are hanging open, two pairs of wide eyes staring at me. Dani is the first one to smirk, "Well if that wasn't the sexiest shit I have ever seen."

Relly and I laugh at her reaction, smiling at the both of them, "Spending hours inside a hospital gives me more than enough time to study the posters everywhere and I might have done some research of my own."