❨16❩

♀︎

It's finally Friday, this week has been a pain in my ass, but somehow I managed to pull through. My dad took the cab to the hospital today, they want to check his numbers so I'll pick him up later. My feet drag across the sidewalk as I finally reach my house, the sight that meets me on the porch makes my stomach drop painfully. 

My mom is sprawled on our bench, at least three different bottles are smashed on the ground in front of her. The embarrassment floods my veins as my cheeks heat up, I run in her direction and shake her shoulders, "Mom, what are you doing?"

She doesn't budge and tears well up in my eyes, this is not how my weekend should start. As a car stops by the neighbor's house I clutch my eyes shut tightly, this is going to be the talk of the town if I don't get her inside soon. Grabbing her arm I pull it over my shoulder and try to lift her up, she is completely knocked out and I can't carry her in this state. 

"Mom," I try again and push at her shoulder, "Please wake up."

Laying her down on the bench, I try to hide her from plain sight. My life has taken a turn for the worse during the last two months, usually, I would spend my Fridays with Relly and Dani preparing for the weekly party. Now I'm here trying to carry my passed out mother inside the house, while my dad is at the hospital signing his death wish. My high school experience is ruined, this semester should have been the best, but it really isn't. 

I hurry inside and grab a glass, filling it with water I tap my foot anxiously. Please do not let anyone see her like that. I hear another car and I'm quick to run outside again, luckily it drove by without stopping. But my mom is still snoring away on the bench, I pour the water on her face. Slowly her eyes flutter open, a deep groan leaves her lips as she sees me with the glass in hand. 

"What the fuck do you think you're doing, little girl?" Her hoarse voice is unrecognizable, and the look of disregard is etched onto her face. My heart pounds heavily in my chest, I hate it when anyone speaks to me in a disrespectful manner. People need to learn how to treat each other with the respect everyone deserves.

"Helping you from embarrassment," She is awake now, so I roughly pull her with me inside, her body tumbles and the profanities that she spits at me are not child friendly. Apparently I'm a disappointment to this family, if only she fucking knew. 

"You always ruin my buzz, why is it so important to you? Let me enjoy my own fucking life," She cannot even speak as she corrects herself more than once, she clearly does not see that I am doing this for her. The alcohol is messing with her priorities and I am doing some much-needed damage control. 

I manage to push her into the bedroom and she throws herself onto the bed immediately, sleep consumes her a second later and I breathe a heavy breath of relief. Too much of me to hope for a normal weekend, my life is not cut out for normal anymore. I remove her shoes and her jacket with much difficulty, as I envelop her body in the comforter. Hopefully, she can sleep this one off. 

Rubbing my eyes, I spot myself in the long mirror by the door. My unruly brown hair is untucked from the bun, the dark circles around my grey eyes horrify even me. I have lost obvious weight, my collarbones are prominent and I try not to dwell on the fact that it almost looks sickly by now.

Getting my shit together, I shake my head and rid myself of these negative thoughts. I am the glue, I am the glue, I am the glue. Smiling at myself I leave my mom and hurry outside, it seems that no one saw the little stunt she pulled. I squat down and pick up the glass, the smell of alcohol disgusts me all of a sudden and I pull a face when it scorches my nostrils. 

As I'm picking up the shards, rain starts pouring, just my fucking luck. I speed up the process and one shard is pushed too hard into my hand, effectively rupturing the skin. A wince leaves my lips on instinct, as unwelcome tears threaten to fall from my eyes, the whole situation is too much for me. Getting the tears under control I ignore the throbbing in my palm, "I am so done."

"Dakota?" A voice asks from the street, I shut my eyes tightly and take a deep breath. I'm happy about the heavy rain now, it makes it easier to mask my facial expressions. "What are you doing on the ground, love?"

Love, oh no. 

In the middle of my pity party and my mother's drunken escapade, he just has to show up. Our deal is tomorrow, so I don't even know why he is in the neighborhood. It's not that I don't want to see him, hell, I would love for him to be my distraction, but he'll want to ask questions and I can't answer them, not even the simple ones. 

I take a deep breath and stand up, turning around with a hand filled with blood and glass, I meet his intense green eyes, giving him my best impression of a smile, "Kind of a surprise seeing you here, Elijah."

It's hard for me to admit, but his presence allows me to breathe for a second. His timing is horrific and I look defeated and ruined, but having him here actually does help. He is my breath of fresh air in the middle of my life spiraling completely. 

He doesn't keep our eye contact for long before his eyes fall to my hand. The attention brings my mind back to the fact that I am cut pretty badly, the rain helps in washing away some of the blood, but it stings, too. Throwing some of the pieces of glass onto the ground I give him a sheepish smile and shake my head. 

He doesn't waste another second, before his bigger palm supports under my hand and he starts throwing all the shards away from my grip, "We need to fix this."

The tingles in my arm distract me from the pain and I try not to shiver. Elijah's brown hair has turned a shade darker from the rain and I briefly wonder if mine did as well, it usually does after a shower. Having him this close gives me a sense of relief and I know he won't ask any questions, at least he won't pry. 

He raises his head and our eyes meet, it's like a punch in my gut by the pure concern in his stare, "Are you okay, Dakota?"