Chapter 17: The Games Begin

"Now that you know the situation," an agent says, "you may begin coming up with your plan. Today, we are avenging Strategy against the people who took him to the prison and held him prisoner, but not his parents. They were given false information, therefore they aren't at fault.

Strength and Courage, go get changed. Strategy, start thinking of a plan. The rest of you stay here for a moment."

Dillan and Drake get up and walk out, leaving the three girls and Gordon at the table. His unfocused eyes are fixed on the wall behind me, but his expression of uncertainty reads clear as he stands up and walks to the smaller table.

"Loyalty, try to remain attentive," the agent says, snapping my attention back to him. Then he turns to Salena.

"Do you trust these teammates?" He asks. She looks up at me and Heneya. Her soft eyes have fear behind them, and her hands tremble in front of her, but she nods.

"Very good. You are dismissed, Brains," he says. She walks over to Gordon, and he begins talking to her. I can now see, very clearly, the distress on his face.

It must be hard for him to plan and execute murders on his own behalf.

"Loyalty, pay attention when we speak to you," the agent says sharply. I return my focus to him.

"Sorry sir..." I say. He waves a dismissive hand and continues speaking.

"It's no secret that Miss Giordano is having a hard transition," he says to us. "Please try to make her feel welcome in any way that you can."

"She's pretty limited having to stay here, doing only this all the time," I say.

"Yeah, we should take her with us today. That'll make her feel included and prove she can trust us," Heneya says.

The agent shakes his head.

"Unfortunately, it is too dangerous for Miss Giordano in the line of fieldwork," he says. "And not to fear, she is doing much more here than it appears."

"Oh yeah? How so? 'Cause it looks to me like she's only here to give direction to No-Eyes over there," Heneya states.

"Of course not, Stealth," he says. "Brains has been doing research on countless things for us, and she's making some excellent progress. All we request is that you help her feel more at home." I nod.

"At home? You gotta be joking me," Heneya says. "You took us from our homes. You didn't even let us-"

"Of course we'll help Salena feel comfortable here," I say with a forced smile. "Right, Heneya?" She takes a deep breath.

"You'd better watch where you sleep tonight hon," she says under her breath.

"Just say it."

"Nah."

"Heneya."

"FINE. Sure, whatever," she says.

"Good," the agent replies. "Now, go get changed. You have a mission to go on." With that, he leaves.

"You're welcome," I say to Heneya. "You really gotta watch your mouth sometimes."

"Yeah yeah, I've heard it all before. But them 'know-it-all' agents can't just tear us away from our lives and expect us all to feel 'at home.'"

"I know... but the best we can do is make it... tolerable for each other, right?" I look to Salena as I speak. She talks to Gordon softly, sniffling and holding back tears.

Heneya pauses at the sight of it. Then her face softens.

"Yeah..." she says. "Yeah, we can try."
________________________________