Chapter 33: The Dangers Ahead

"All good?" Gordon's voice asks over the earpieces.

"Yeah," I respond, "we're just about to split up."

"Good. Loyalty, go around to the back of the building and hide. It should be clear- although I'm not complete sure. Brains was watching the live feed, but I think she went to her dorm to rest. Just keep an eye out. The rest of you, go inside the northwest door. The password is 'good deals ahead.'"

"Got it," I say, switching my mic off.

Salena stands off to the side, messing with her own recreated earpiece.

It doesn't work as far as I know, but it helps her feel more like a part of the team.

Dillan pulls me aside.

"Take care of her," he says softly, "and don't do anything dumb. Hide, stay hidden, and don't put her in danger in any way." I nod.

"Don't worry, I've got this," I say. He lets go of my arm and walks away, never taking his eyes off of me.

"Be careful," he says. Then he runs and catches up with Heneya and Drake. I see them just outside the building, binding Heneya's hands behind her back.

Then I turn to Salena and smile.

"Follow me," I say, "and make sure to stay quiet."
________________________________

The backyard of the machine shed holds many places to hide;

Tractors, trailers, and machine parts line the edge of the field. I look around carefully, scanning for the best place Salena can hide.

I spot a semi trailer, sitting farthest from the door to the right side. I can see that it's used to transport animals of some sort, considering the slots in the shiny metal.

I usher Salena over and open the door, motioning for her to get in. The smell hits me first; waste and puke.

Salena shakes her head frantically, pointing inside. Her eyes well up in tears. Then I turn my head and see what the trailer contains.

Human waste lines the floor, staining it brown and yellow. I shove the door upward and close it, repulsed.

Then it hits me;

This trailer is what they use to transport slaves. Salena was probably in this very trailer at some point.

I give Salena a sorry look, but she shakes her head. She points underneath a large tire a few feet away. I nod, and she crawls underneath.

Walking around the yard, I check to make sure that she's concealed from all angles. Seeing that she is, I begin to look for a hiding place of my own.

I look up and see a combine. Climbing carefully, I get into the seat.

Big windows. No good.

I start climbing down when I hear the door swing open.

Panicking, I swing my legs up and hop into the back. There is a small ledge where I set my feet, looking over to see what's happening.

Five men walk out first.

Then, just as we planned, Dillan and Drake emerge, Heneya bound between them. She looks miserable, resentful, and defiant. The men examine her.

"We ask you again. How much are you willing to pay?" One of the men say. Dillan clears his throat.

"One million," he says confidently, "and this girl." The men look at each other in astonishment.

"We don't handle the capture of slaves," one of them says, "but this one looks very fine. We can bring out the guys who do that kind of business."