Chapter 46: Questions

The next day, an agent requests that me and Diane come to the conference room.

"Can I take my knife?"

I roll my eyes.

"No, you can't take your knife," I say.

"Aw fine," she says, setting it on the table.

We walk to the room and sit down by ourselves, waiting for agents to arrive.

"I'm bored, I'm taking a nap," Diane says, leaning back.

"I'm afraid that won't be necessary," an agent says as he walks in.

"AH! YEESH, WHAT ARE YOU GUYS, NINJAS?!"

"Be quiet," I say softly.

"He basically snuck up on me!"

"Diane, shhhh."

She folds her arms.

The agents take their seats at the table and study us for a moment.

"We just wanted to do a check-in to see how everyone is doing," one says. "We have a few questions for you both.

"Oh, how kind of you to include me in your therapy sessions," Diane comments.

"Di, I swear."

"No you don't. I've never heard you swear."

"You're about to."

"Oh c'mon, you love me."

"Ahem," another agent says. I straighten.

"Sorry, continue sir," I say.

"Very good. Have you been experiencing a change in thinking since you arrived? If so, is it good or bad?"

"I have, very much so," I say.

"Good or bad?"

"Those are subjective terms," I say, "some would consider it an awful change, while others a good one. Overall, I've become more accustomed to witnessing death."

The men write some things down on their clipboards.

"My turn?" Asks Diane.

An agent nods.

"Oh! Yay! Uhhh I'm bored. Bad change."

"That's all?"

"Yep! Can I go on a mission yet?"

The agents eye me.

"No, you cannot," one says.

"Awww come on!"

I think. Diane was upset that she has to be cooped up all day. She thinks I'm avoiding asking the agents.

I just want her to be happy.

"Sir," I say, glancing at her, "I must say that Diane could be useful for one mission. Is it possible... for you to please let her go on mine?"

The agent looks at me thoughtfully. He considers this for a moment, then smiles.

"Sure," he says, "if it's okay with you, she can go on your mission. But that's the ONLY one. Am I clear?" I nod.

"YES," shrieks Diane, "I LOVE YOU ALI!" I shake my head at her, smiling.

Hiding my fear of what could happen.

"Next question," the agent says. "How did you feel about killing when you first arrived, vs now?"

I glance at Diane, who motions for me to talk.

"When I first came, I thought it was something I'd never do, that I was incapable of it," I begin. "But now... I see that it can be used for good. We freed an entire warehouse of slaves, we saved people's lives by killing. Killing horrible people. It's something I'm still getting used to, but now, I think it's something that needs to be done."

The agents, again, jot down notes on their clipboards.

Diane clears her throat.

"I've always waited for the day I could use this knife," she begins, pulling out her switchblade.

I stare.

"I THOUGHT YOU PUT THAT DOWN BEFORE WE CAME!"

"I picked it back up!"

"Give me that..."

"Nope! Now shush, let me finish my damn monologue." I lean back into the chair, hiding a smile.

"Ahem. As I was saying before I was RUDELY INTERRUPTED, I have always waited for the day I could use this knife. Then I came here, and that day so suddenly came. I stabbed someone, and I must admit it was the most horrible thing I've ever felt. Do I regret it? Hell yeah, but that's only because it was my friend. Would I do it again? Absolutely, if it was a bad guy. Oh, the amazing feeling of the kn-"

"I see," an agent says, cutting her off.

"Hey! I wasn't done!"

He sighs. "Last question. If asked to kill a government official, would you do it?"

Diane grins at me excitedly.

I think. Would I? It would definitely be more dangerous... it's what got my parents killed.

But we wear masks. It would be fine.

"Yes," I say, "I would."

They look to Diane.

"DO YOU KNOW HOW EXCITING THAT WOULD BE?! OF COURSE!"

"That is all, thank you, Loyalty. Keep her under control."

He motions to Diane, who is now running around the room swinging her knife. I sigh.

"I'll do my best," I say.

"Good. You're dismissed."

The moment I leave the room, I spot Gordon.

He's leaning over something.

Someone.

I look down. It's Salena, passed out on the floor.

"Someone needed a nap," Diane says.

"Gordon?!" I yell, running over. He doesn't look at me.

"I kicked something, trying to get to the conference room," he says.

"Stand back," I say. "It's Salena."

He takes a few steps away as I scoop her into my arms.

She squirms a bit, but her eyes stay closed.

"Diane, find the key," I say. She searches her pocket and finds it, then opens her door.

"Can I keep this?" She asks.

"No," I say, stepping inside. "Put it on her counter."

Gordon follows.

"Is she okay?!"

I lay her on the bed and examine her. There are no injuries that I can see, and no bumps on her head.

"I think she's just tired," I say. I look at the back of my hands.

Dust from the covers coats them.

I knew she hadn't been sleeping in her bed, but why?

"Go back to the dorms," I say to the others. "I'll wait until she wakes up."

"Okay Alisha," Gordon says. "Come get me if anything happens." He turns and feels his way out of the room.

"You too, Di," I say. "We don't want to crowd her."

"Fine, but I'm making lunch."

"Don't burn the compound down."

"Haha, very funny!" She leaves, closing the door behind her.

I sit against the bed and wait.

Whatever's going on with Salena, I'm promise myself that I am going to help her.