Chapter 27: Simply Crazy

After talking with Diane for awhile, I look at my clock.

10:45pm.

"Why do you keep doing that?" She asks me. "Waiting for an attack or something?" I shake my head.

"No," I say, "I'm just supposed to meet someone soon."

She glances at the clock.

"This late at night?" She asks. "Who the hell are you meeting this late at night?"

"It's nothing, Diane, it's just-"

"Is it a guy?" She asks. "Guys are so annoying, you don't need them. They ruin all the fun and take your money."

"Yes, it's a guy," I say slowly.

"Ohhh, are you gonna-"

"I know where this sentence is going and the answer is no," I say quickly. "You know I'm not like that."

"That's fair. So what are you talking to him about?"

"To be honest, I don't know," I say.

"Do you want to bring my switchblade, just in case?" She asks, pulling it out.

I think. Would Dillan hurt me?

"No, I don't want the... give me that," I say, taking it from her. She smirks at me.

I don't know Dillan enough to fully understand his intentions.

Apparently, I didn't even know Rowan well enough to tell that he was upset.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

"Go on," she says. "Find out what he wants."

I glance at the clock again.

"It's only 10:50," I say.

"That doesn't matter, it's always better to be early. Take a coat and go. And don't cut yourself. I don't wanna have to clean blood off of that thing unless you use it to stab someone, because THAT would be cool." I roll my eyes and smile at her.

"Goooo," she says.

I stand up, grab my coat, and leave the dorm room.
________________________________

Walking outside, I see no one. I wait, leaning against the brick wall, watching the door for when he emerges.

A hand grabs my shoulder from behind. I shriek, grabbing the switchblade from my pocket and spinning around.

"SHHHH," Dillan hisses, "PUT THAT AWAY AND BE QUIET!" He looks around.

"No one can know we're out here, okay?" He says softly. Confused, I nod slowly, tucking the knife away.

Dillan grabs my hand and leads me around the corner, into the shadows.

"Damn, this is gonna sound crazy," he says.

"What is it?" I ask.

Although I fear that I already know.

He takes a deep breath.

"I think Drake's a traitor," he says finally.

My tongue is tied in shock.

I wasn't expecting that.

"That... that is kinda crazy..." I say. "Why do you think that?"

"Well, think about it," he says. "He's bitter towards almost everyone, a jerk, and clearly hates us all."

"That's not evidence he's a traitor," I say, "you don't know what he's been through in life. It's probably just taken a toll on him."

"Maybe... or maybe he was threatened into staying by the agents and is getting his revenge through secretly giving information to the government," he says.

I take a step back.

"No," I say, "look, Drake might be a jerk and a horrible friend, but he's no traitor. I- it's cold... I'm going inside."

I start walking back to the door. What was I thinking?

That Dillan liked me?

Or is the worse thing that... part of me hoped he did?

"Wait!" He says. I turn around.

"Seriously, just think." I spin on my heels and start walking again.

He's talking mad.

"Think, Alisha," he says. Then I hear rushed footsteps and he steps in front of me, grabbing my bruised arms gently.

"Sorry..." he mutters. "I'm asking you to think." I sigh.

"Fine," I say, "explain your case then."

"Okay... so first of all we've got Drake's attitude. Then we have the fact that he doesn't want to be here. And what happened after the prison mission?"

He pauses.

"...we got caught," I say.

"Exactly, we got caught. And by who?"

"Those prison boys," I reply.

"But was it really the prison boys? Why would they report the people who saved them?"

"Why wouldn't they?" I ask. "They watched us kill everyone, they probably thought they were next. Would you tell the police?"

"No, I wouldn't," he says.

"Drake was upset when he heard we were wanted. He did not report us."

"Exactly, he was upset. Overly upset. Seemed like an act to me," Dillan replies. I stop.

He has a point.

"Okay," I say softly. "I see what you're saying. Let's just... keep an eye on him for now, yeah?"

"Yeah," he says. "Thanks for listening to me." He looks at my arms.

"Are you cold?" He asks. I nod.

I had left my jacket on the ground around the corner.

Dillan smiles in the dim light and runs his hands up and down my arm gently, warming them up.

I inhale sharply as he hits a bruise.

"Damn, I'm sorry," he murmurs gently. He skims the skin and avoids the area. "How many of these did you get?" He asks me.

"Lots," I say. He nods.

"I have something that might help. You look really cold, let's get you inside." He puts an arm around me and guides me around the corner, kicking my coat.

"You had a jacket this entire time?" He asks. I nod and laugh a little.

"Well... pick it up," he says with a grin. I lean down and grab it. He takes it from me, puts it around my shoulders, and guides me into the warmth of the compound.

The light has never seemed as disappointing as it does now.