Chapter 22: Placing Blame

We stare at the screen. No one utters a word.

"You will have to be much more cautious from now on," the agent says after a bit.

"How do they know it was us?" Dillan asks. "The cameras were down, we couldn't have been caught on footage."

"Was there anyone you encountered left alive, aside from the prisoners?" The agent asks. I think. No one witnessed what happened in the prison except us and...

The two boys left behind.

They must've gotten scared and gone to the police. It makes perfect sense. Why wouldn't they be scared?

I look at the others, who have pieced it together too. Only Gordon and Salena look confused.

"There were a couple prisoners who didn't make it out before the prison staff put the place on lockdown. They witnessed the whole thing," Dillan says.

Salena's gone right back into her shell, shedding silent tears as she watches the news.

Drake slams his fist on the table and stands up.

"I KNEW this whole thing was a bad idea," he says. "I KNEW I should've gone home." He turns to Heneya. "This is YOUR fault."

"ME?!" She exclaims, "What did I do?!"

"You tricked me into staying here with your-"

"My what?" Heneya challenges. She crosses her arms and steps forward, daring him to say more. "C'mon, my WHAT?"

Dillan huffs out an angry breath and sits back down.

"That's what I thought," Heneya says.

He stands up again.

"Oh, you know what?" He says. "I don't like your sassy, sneaky little ass. You-"

"Well if it weren't for my 'sneaky little ass' those cameras would've caught our faces, ya want that? I can make that happen on the next mission, no problem bud," she fires back.

Drake smacks the table, stepping right into her face, and they start yelling at each other. Gordon looks perplexed, Dillan stares, and Salena cries harder. A moment later, the agent yells,

"ENOUGH." Everyone stops. Heneya falls back into her chair, leaving Drake standing alone.

The room goes dead silent, aside from Salena's sniffle.

"I believe Miss Eyisha has a point," he says. "Lucky for you, the cameras did not catch your faces. You're safe for now, however we may have to make some minor adjustments to your uniforms."

Minor adjustments? What does that mean?

"Such as?.." Dillan questions.

"We'll have to see," he says. Drake rolls his eyes.

"What's the point?" He asks. "We'll all get recognized by the levels of sass radiating off of Stealth anyways."

Heneya punches the table.

"Oh you little-"

"STOP!" I say. I can't take this anymore. They stare at me.

"Whether you like it or not, we're all in this together. We're in the same boat and no ones at fault, so shut up and live with it. This is what we do in life- we take what comes our way and we work with it. Come on guys, fighting will only make things worse." Heneya and Drake glare at me. I sigh.

"If we get caught, would you like to be in jail together?" I ask.

"Oh HELL no!" Heneya exclaims. Drake shakes his head with panic.

"Then work together," I say.

"She's right," Dillan pipes up. "We all need to focus in to make this work. We're wanted, no more dilly dallying on duty. If we all pull our weight we'll be fine. Just don't think about your fear- that's the key to success."

"You say that, yet you let your fear get to you awful quick last time," Heneya says. Dillan goes silent.

"Okay, that was uncalled for," I say.

"Of course you would defend him, you cuddled with him like the world was ending on the plane." She says.

"Enough," Gordon says. "Seriously guys, stop. I'm getting a headache just listening to you. And just look at Brains. Before you criticize that statement too, I know I can't look at her, for obvious reasons, but I can hear her."

Salena, of course, is a mess. Her glasses sit on the table, stained with tears. She holds her red face in her hands and trembles.

Poor girl.

"If you won't stop fighting for anyone else, do it for her," Gordon says. Me and Dillan nod.

"Fine, fine. I'll be the bigger person," Heneya says. "But only for Glasses."

"Uh... guys... I'm still here," a voice says from the door. Diane waves. "Hi, sooo I don't know how to do this. Help?"

"I thought that girl had left," the agent says, holding his head.

"Well it ain't my fault I can't get out of the room ya goon," she says.

The agent gives me a pointed look.

"Diane, no," I say.

"Then help me," she says. I stand up, shaking my head, and get in the stance that opens the door.

"Thanks Ali, you're the best, bye now!" She says, slipping out.

The agent approaches me.

"I'm warning you, either control your friend or there will be consequences," he says. I only nod in agreement.

I don't want to know what those consequences are.