【하나】

• ━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━ ••One | Yugyeom

One | Yugyeom.

You know that long moment of silence that goes by before everything falls apart?

That moment where everything feels as if it's been stretched out and the atmosphere thins out so much it feels hard to breathe with all the tension?

I'm going through that now.

To my left is my girlfriend, one-hundred-sixty centimeters tall, one-hundred-and-forty- something pounds, glowing ebony skin and hair standing up and at attention.

The habitual smile that usually decorates her face is replaced with a scowl as she looks the man up and down. With her arms crossed over her chest and a disapproving leer, I know that when the time comes for her to break the silence with her commanding voice, all hell is to break loose.

"Just what the hell do you mean by that?"

I shake my head and turn my attention toward the man behind the counter, grinning internally as a look of panic spreads across his face. He looks to me for what I can only assume is help.

He doesn't get any. 

As the heavy silence continues to eat away at the atmosphere, he begins to fumble and fall over his words, avoiding eye contact with her as she goes from the sweet girl she was to the most intimidating creature to walk the earth.

I almost feel bad for him.

"I- I didn't mean anything by it, I- shit. You weren't supposed to hear that. Foreigners don't usually know much Korean."

"That's your excuse? Because I'm black, you didn't think I would have the slightest idea what just came out of your mouth?" She drops her arms by her sides and looks off into the distance, a scoff loud in the quiet store.

"Pathetic," She mutters.

"Hey!"

"What?" She counters immediately, not missing a beat.

"W- watch how you speak to me. I'm probably a lot older than you."

I take her hand in mine and move her out of his sight, approaching the counter with fire in my heart. "Don't try to make this about age. You're wrong and you know it."

I expected an apology. An ounce of guilt or shame. But he just shrugs his shoulders and glares at me.

"She shouldn't have been listening. It's not my fault you have a stupid crush on a foreigner."

But that's the thing about entitlement and ignorance. It blinds people and prohibits them from acknowledging their wrongdoings.

"Wah! You really are pathetic," I marveled as a woman comes out from the back of the store, greeting us with a warm smile.