3 | That Boy

| Chapter 3 : That Boy |

"Is she going to be alright?" I heard a squeaky voice ask.

"Yes, no damage done, the blood seems to be the man's." Another voice quickly responded.

"I see." The first one replied, and that was when the wheels started rolling. I felt my bed move and I opened my eyes.

Bright.

"Dad." I choked, reaching outwards. A gloved hand gripped my own's and I knew I was in the hospital: the lights, the rolling bed, the gloved hand, but what did they mean by blood?

My eyes finally adjusted to the lights as I looked down. They had changed me into a nightgown, and just right below my feet were napkins covered with blood. I panicked, before remembering that it wasn't mine; it was the man's, they had said.

I shivered at the recall of his skin crumbling, then completely peeling off. I felt sadden at the news that he didn't make it, but what would have happened if he did? He would have went on a rampage no doubt. Nonetheless . . .

"He didn't deserve it." I sighed.

"You're going to be ok." A nurse said at the same time, noticing I was awake.

They rolled me down to the single waiting room, luckily, the lights were slightly dimmer. I was glad there were no nurses or doctors with me, just dad who had appeared onto the chair they supplied.

My brain abandoned me as I was looking for the right words to say, it didn't matter anyways as my throat closed up when I tried to say thank you.

"Dad?" I managed, feeling queasy.

"Hm."

"I hated you."

"I know."

A small smile tugged on his lips as I burst into tears. I didn't make any sounds, not even hiccups, but maybe that was for the better. Small tears kept rolling down the side of my face, all in complete silence.

"I thought you were weird. And creepy." I admitted, continuing my waterfall of tears.

"I know."

I bit my lip to stop my voice from quivering. I was shaking so badly even though it wasn't cold. He knew all these things, and yet he still saved me. We were so far away, did he really hear me from thirty stories above?

"But you still came." I cracked up, not able to keep the composure I used to wear. I used to feel like the adult, but after that attack, it reminded me that I was still just a five year old. I was the child now.

And I was ok with that.

"You hungry?" Dad asked in a quiet voice.

"Yeah." I answered, feeling my stomach whine and complain. All I had for the entire day was a piece of cake, and it was chewing me out.

Dad stood up with a heavy groan, "I'll be right back. Don't try and move." He instructed.

I stared as dad walked out, gently closing the door behind him. There was a window next to my bed; I tried to sit up to see outside, but my back roared with anguish. I sighed miserably as I could hear the birds chirping happily outside.