5 | Friend or Foe

| Chapter 5 : Friend or Foe |

I woke up to the sunshine filtering through my curtains. I frowned, distinctively remembering that I had closed them last night. When I got up, I had such a massive headache that I had to lay back down.

"Ow," Was all I managed as I moved onto my side, looking around the room. Nothing changed, no signs of anyone coming in — was what I believed until I saw the note laying on my desk.

I reached for it and read with what little vocabulary I knew.

'(Y/N), I am going out for a bit. There is breakfast on the table when you wake up, remember to not open the door for anyone and don't go anywhere. I'll come back soon.'

I sighed and rest my arm over my eyes, shielding myself from the beating sun.

"Give it a rest, will you?" I groaned to no one in particular.

The next time I sat up, the headache was gone. I smiled and hopped down from my bed, quickly descending the stairs and seeing what dad had left me.

Pancakes.

I immediately feasted on them, not pausing to consider how he managed to make them with only eggs and a bunch of juice in his refrigerator.

After that, I changed into a clean T-shirt and shorts.

Boy is it just me, or is it getting hotter? I thought wiping the sudden sweat off my forehead. I close the curtains in my room and sighed.

With nothing else to do, I wanted to explore the house's mysteries. Seeing as I was now familiar with the house, it didn't seem as scary and unknown anymore.

Alas, I entered what dad called the 'training room.' It looked the same way as I first saw it, but what caught my eye was the dummy on the ground.

I didn't expect to see large dents since dad didn't seem like the type of person who'd be that strong, but I also didn't expect to see bandages.

I cautiously picked one up, and to my surprise, it was smooth and felt nothing like bandages. In fact, they were somewhat elegant as I danced around the room with them, twirling them between my fingers.

It was fun while it lasted, until the bandage-like ribbons seemed to come to life and encase me. I wiggled around, at first shocked, then weirded out. Luckily, it wasn't my first time being entangled, and so with my nimble fingers, I managed to slowly untie myself.

Was it just me, or did those things sprung to life? It was as if they wanted to trap me!

I huffed and poked at them, wondering if one would jump out at me. The ribbons seemed to return to being objects after they had tangled me up. Maybe it only does their job and then go back to normal? In that case, they don't seem to be much harm—

I slapped my cheeks, why am I giving so much thought into plain, old, bandages? It was probably my imagination telling me they sprung to life!

"Ugh," I whined, "I'm so bored, I'm going insane!"

🍃

"Woah! This place is huge!" I exclaimed, taking in all the new environment around me. Unlike the big city with its towering buildings and advanced technology, this place reminded me more of the orphanage. Homey, sweet, and surrounded by nature. Even though it wasn't that far from our house, it felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, just us and the forest.