4 | Confession

| Chapter 4 : Confession |

After he had finished sobbing, we stayed like for a few more minutes until Shoto showed his face again.

His eye was red and puffy, but his smile was genuine and you could see him practically glow.

"I'm glad you're so happy." I chirped, pulling my hand away from his'. I rubbed at it until I could feel the blood coming back; that's how long we held hands for. Man, he had a tight grip!

Shoto wiped his eye one last time before sitting on the edge of the bed, staring out the window.

"I'm going to have to go back to my dad some time later." He announced.

I nodded, "I know, but hopefully we can meet again, and talk, have fun."

"Fun." Shoto sneered, "Yeah right, my dad would probably kill me by then."

"Don't say that!" I scolded, "First of all, I won't let him kill you, and second, we'll find a way."

He cracked a small smile, "You're always so cheerful. What are you doing in the hospital anyways? Is it an internal condition?"

I shook my head, "I'm going to be released in an hour or so." I said proudly, "I just got dropped from thirty stories above ground, that's all."

"That's all." Shoto repeated, looking out the window again as if in a trance. Nothing I ever said made Shoto have a reaction I could expect, granted they were never bad reactions, just strange.

"Y'know, I really like you." Shoto confessed.

I looked up, it was my first time making a friend not from the orphanage, so I was overly delighted to hear him say that.

"Really?" I gasped, "Aw, Shoto, you're so sweet! You're such a nice friend."

He froze. Again, strange reaction, but nothing ever bad.

"Friend?" He repeated in confusion.

"Er, yeah. I mean, we count as friends now right? You said you liked me, we even had a compliment battle, I'd say we're friends." I said, hoping that he also saw us as friends.

"Right." Shoto nodded, "Of course, but what I meant was, I like you, as more than a friend."

"Eh?" I blinked, the words not completely processing through my head.

He likes me.

As more than a friend?

Good timing or not, dad came in at the exact moment I had realized what Shoto said. My face turned bright red and I was a stammering mess. Luckily, dad didn't think too much of it as he led Shoto out.

I waved goodbye and he nodded, mouthing the words, "I'll see you again."

After a few minutes, dad came back and sat in the chair that they provided.

"How are you feeling?" He asked in his usual grumpy voice.

"I feel great." I chirped, sitting up so quickly my head spun a bit. "My back doesn't hurt anymore and I'm not even hungry."

Dad nodded, "That's great. The doctor should be here any second for your final checkup and then I'll take you home."

I hummed in agreement before noticing the wet drops on the blanket from when Shoto had sobbed his heart out. Dad followed my gaze, but didn't say anything.

I was glad, grateful even, that he let me take my time with things. I traced around it for a moment before looking up, "Do you know him?"

"I've seen him. Endeavor's only son who inherited both quirks is a conversation known for the teachers." Dad explained, "He really gave his dad a hard time. Did Endeavor come in here?"