☽ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 '𝘖𝘳𝘳𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 '𝘖𝘰

25 & 26 March 1967

  25 & 26 March 1967

March 25th marked The Who's first day in New York City. It also marked the day of their first performances on the Murray the K Show at the RKO theater on 58th street. As strange and sleazy as Murray the K is, playing on his show meant that their songs would get on the radio, so it seemed worth tolerating the self-declared "fifth Beatle."

"Danica, love, my eyes are up here."

"Right, sorry Keith."

Danni's eyes were across the dressing room, miles away from where Keith sat in front of her. It was not that she had her eyes on anyone or anything in particular. She was just yearning for an extra hour of sleep, even though she slept most of the flight to New York.

She could hardly focus on the task at hand due to her horrible case of jet lag. Danica was supposed to keep Keith preoccupied to help him cope with his severe case of stage fright. She often found herself doing this before going on tour with The Who, but she had not realized the extent of his anxiety until she was with him before every gig. Danni understood being nervous about performing, especially since it is their first performance in America, but she never expected him to lose his entire breakfast over it.

Instead of trying to eat some crackers to compensate for the lost French toast, Keith drank three glasses of Brandy. It was extremely apparent he was not as fearful as before. His natural charm came back in a flood and the fabricated posh accent came into fruition.

Keith whipped his head around the dressing room to find what she was looking for, but the only thing in Danica's line of vision was a concrete wall.

"I think I'm a bit more interesting than the wall," Keith commented, placing his hand on her knee.

She put her hand over his and laughed.

"You really are. I swear. I'm just exhausted from the flight."

"Sorry I kept waking you up to talk. I just had to tell you about the time I..." He began rambling and ultimately reexplaining the story he already told.

She shook her head smiling, thinking his insistent rambling is endearing. It was never annoying to hear Keith talk. There was always something interesting to hear. Danica did not mind the posh Kit Lambert-esque accent he would put on after having a drink, as ridiculous as it is; however, she would always prefer when the true Wembley boy would come back. Usually, he would drop the accent and talk normally when it is the two of them, but the brandy certainly turned insecurity into ostentatiousness.