☽ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝘛𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘉𝘭𝘶𝘦

17 June 1967

  17 June 1967

  People were beginning to stare.

  "Keith," She muttered, avoiding the longing in his massive brown eyes.

  "Danni, I know I've asked before. I remember your response vividly. I didn't have a ring then, but I do now. It was easy to pick out, actually. I- I asked for them to show me jewelry that had blue stones, and this was the third piece she showed me. She wasn't sure what I was trying to buy. I didn't exactly know either, but the stones match your eyes. Aquamarine is your birthstone too, right? I thought it was too perfect to pass by. I mean, look at it. It's really funny. I originally thought I'd buy you a pair of earrings," He rambled on, pushing the box closer and closer to her.

  She looked down at the ring presented in a turquoise box. It is a gorgeous Tiffany engagement ring with a gold band. The diamond is cut in a rhombus shape and the gold band around the diamond is lined with small Aquamarine stones that matched her birthstone. She could even see cursive lettering engraved on the inside of the band. She wondered how many stings he had to pull to get someone to engrave it so suddenly. The diamond was lavish. The stone was incredibly large for her boney ring finger.

"It is beautiful."

He smiled. Her response was music to his ears. Not hearing an immediate "no" seemed like a good sign to him.

"I know," Keith agreed.

"What does it say?" Danni asked, straining to read the lettering from where she stood.

"Hm?"

"On the inside of the ring."

"Oh! Why don't you look for yourself," He suggested.

Keith stood up and pulled the ring out of the box, sticking the Tiffany & Co. box in his back pocket. He took one of her hands in his and dropped the ring into her palm.

"Read it aloud," He asked

She picked it up with her fingers and examined the cursive lettering. "'Wouldn't it be nice.'"

"Wouldn't it?"

Danni bit her lip and stared at the ring. It could be nice.

Danni spends a lot of time in her head when she is alone or in the shower or unable to sleep. Her mind can drift so fast, and the concealed romantic inside her tended to imagine her life with Keith. The future seemed bright and full of adventure. There is never a dull moment and hardly ever any restful nights. It wouldn't be an easy life, but they could be happy. She could wake up next to someone who always manages to make her smile and cackle for the rest of her life. But that is all in her mind — a figment of her imagination. Their life together wouldn't be as simple as a few adjectives. It wouldn't be cookie-cutter. Keith always colored outside the lines. Every stroke of color is impulsive, bold, and abrasive. She found that incredibly attractive, but that didn't mean it is stable.