☽ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝘙𝘢𝘭𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩

16 June 1967

  16 June 1967

Danica waited outside the poorly lit stage door. The door was lit by a single bulb that stuck out like a zit. Gnats swarmed the light and buzzed obnoxiously around her ears. She tried to keep moving by rocking back and forth between the heel and toe of her flats to keep them away. She had decided to stand outside instead of waiting for knocking and dealing with the awkward silence between her and the stage door guard. He already seemed fixated by her lengthy legs, and she didn't want to watch him gawk.

  In the meantime, she fired up a cigarette from her carton of Camels and smoked it. She kept the stick between her teeth as she fiddled with the backstage pass stickers. The waiting was unbearable. She had not seen Raleigh or Gil since last Christmas, and it was killing her. Raleigh rarely visited due to work, so the holidays became the only time he could visit. A part of her wished his work was more independent like Gil's. Gil independently caters and can travel freely and often.

  Touring with The Who seemed to give Danica a better chance of seeing her brother without having to wait for the holidays, and she loved that more than doing photography itself. Danni adored her younger brother.

  By the time she smoked her cigarette to the butt, she could begin to make out two silhouettes trotting down the steep incline from the parking lot to the poorly lit backstage door. Raleigh began running halfway down the slope, nearly tripping over his untied trainers while Gil took his time.

  "Hey!" Danni called out, waving as she put the remainder of cigarette out with her heel.

  Raleigh tackled her in a massive hug. He almost pulled her to the ground with his extra inches of height.

"Don't knock me down!" She laughed, patting his back and squeezing his torso.

Gil stood idly by and watched the pair hug it out. Danica had to separate herself since Raleigh never liked to be the first to let go.

  "It's good to see you too, Gil," She said turning to face the dark headed boy.

  He was never too interested in giving and receiving hugs by anyone other than Raleigh, so she thought it was best to simply pat him on the shoulder.

  "It's good to see you too. Long time no see," He replied.

  She grinned in agreement.

  "Thank you so much for the tickets too, Danni," Gil gushed.

  She swatted at the air, gesturing to him that there was no need for thanks.