☽ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧: 𝘐𝘯𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘋𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥

13 April 1967

13 April 1967

  "Oh, they're fucked."

  "Yep."

  Danica glanced over at the audio tech roadie, Bobby Pridden, who stood next to her.

  "It's sad 'cos they'll just crash and burn, and we can't really help 'em," She said, taking a long drag of her cigarette.

Bobby nodded.

  "I've never seen Moonie move that fast. He must 'ave took enough uppers to keep himself up for days."

  Danica scuffed the heel of her white boots against the flooring. She could not help but cringe at his response. Not only would Keith be insanely jumpy for the next few nights, he would fuel it even more by partying with John. Keith lacked an off switch.

  She physically could not even force herself to take pictures. Danni did not want to capture what was in front of her. They sounded horrible. Not a single member was in sync with Keith, and the German audience could tell.

  Keith always played at ungodly levels, but the spontaneity turned sour with the number of prescriptions he took before the gig. He was playing sloppily, and it threw the rest of the band off-kilter.

  Danni hated that the audience paid to see them on a bad day. She couldn't stand that it may turn off audience members and discourage The Who from buying tickets next time they pass through Germany. Without an influx of cash, the two heavy spenders of the group may not have the money to spend frivolously.

"When this happens, what stops you from cutting the mics around his drum kit?"

  "I've considered it before, but I think I'd get fired."

  "S'pose so."

  She patted his shoulder and walked backstage. Danica took a seat on the floor and watched the bitter expressions of the various roadies as they listened.

  As much as she considered "tripping" over a couple of wires, she knew it would be best for Keith to learn from his mistake than cover for him. Maybe it wouldn't happen again.

  Danica slumped back against the wall and considered taking a nap. Since there were no pillows around for her to steal, she doubted she could even relax enough to close her eyes, let alone fall asleep.

  As the group played on, a pair of European groupies found themselves backstage. Danica always befriended them over the road crew. She was so fascinated by their natural mysticism and positivity. She could see herself in them. Maybe not the mysticism or the positivity, but she was sleeping with a rockstar and loved music just as much as them. Danni could only strive to be as whimsical and radiant as the groupies.