𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈

or "Mr. Blue sky"

-

-

Maybe Will didn't expect it to be quite so awkward.

Mike and him walked the halls of the school silently, just sort of- walking next to each other. Will looked up at Mike periodically, just mulling the edges of his sleeve and looking down. 

"So, uh, transfer student, huh? Where are you from?" Mike finally asked, and Will looked up.

"Here, actually. I just used to go to that school a few minutes out of town, 'Highland academy." He said, and Mike nodded, seemingly impressed.

"So you're like, smart smart?" He asked, smiling his smile again. Will blushed again.

"Not really," he muttered, looking down. The conversation died, and they continued walking silently. 

Texting him, it was so easy to initiate a conversation. He barely even thought before clicking send, but there he was Hazel. Hazel wasn't as awkward as Will was, because when he was her he didn't actually have to worry about what people thought- because she wasn't real.

It was hard to explain, but without the security of Hazel he couldn't even think about how to start a conversation with the good looking boy. So he just continued walking, and Mike did the same.

8.26 am

When they got to the class, Will just sat down at the first table he saw completely open: second row, close to the window. He took the seat by the window, hanging his bag on the back of the chair.

"Do you mind-?" Mike asked, pointing at the empty seat next to him.
"No, of course!" Will muttered, trying a smile. Mike's returning one was much more easy than Will's, and he sat down.

"Hey, dude,"  A dark skinned boy with a bandanna tied around his neck approached them. 

"Hey," Mike responded, and the two bumped fists. Actual fist bump.

"Lucas, this is Will. Will, this is my friend Lucas." Mike introduced, and Will waved at the boy. Lucas nodded at him, smiling.

"Nice to meet you, Will," He said. Will nodded again, and hurried to look busy taking his notebooks out of his bag so they could talk without feeling obligated to include him int he conversation. 

They talked casually for a few seconds, but after a moment (out the corner of his eye) Will saw Lucas leaning down to nutter something in Mike's ear, not knowing Will could hear it perfectly fine.

"I thought you were going to sit next to me?" He said. Will felt a lump of embarrassment build in his throat. Shit

"Just- it's fine, man. I think I'll just sit here this class." Mike muttered back, and Will hurried to look down so he could hide the smile building on his lips. Mike actually wanted to sit next to him??

"Mr. Sincalir, since I see you're already standing come help me hand these out,"A deep voice called. Will looked up, and in the front of the class was standing a young (kind of attractive in that proper way) teacher, with a blue button down shirt that matched his blue eyes. He smiled at the class as Lucas groaned and stepped to his desk.

The teacher handed him a huge stack of books, and Lucas started passing them around the class.

"To any new students, my name is Mr. Brown. Welcome to advanced English! I hope everybody's ready for some serious thinking. This semester we will be reading and analyzing Harper Lee's to kill a mockingbird,  which Lucas is so kindly distributing as we speak. Soon I'll write our these schedule on the board..."

Will sighed as he accepted his copy from Lucas. He may have done it a bit too loud, because Mike turned to him.
"Already read this?" He whispered.

"Yeah, kinda'," Will returned in that same hushed tone. Mike smiled again- he really did that a lot- "Me too." 

"I just really don't feel like analyzing it for a whole semester, I already did that last year." Will said.

"Shit, that means you have essays written!" He said with bright eyes, and Will shrugged and nodded slowly.

"I didn't even think about that," He smiled shyly. 

"Well, I don't know what we can do the whole semester, but if you want we can listen to some music now? I have airpods," Mike said. Will nodded eagerly.

"Great." The curly-haired boy took a small case of air pods from his pocket and handed one to Will who discretely put it in his ear and covered it with his hair.

Sun is shinin' in the sky

There ain't a cloud in sightIt's stopped rainin' ev'rybody's in a play

And don't you know 

The song started. Mike looked at Will apologetically. 

"I'm obsessed with this song since I saw guardians of the galaxy," he explained.

Will almost straight up said "I know"- after all, they had discussed Mike's love for  guardians of the galaxy about two days ago when he told him how he used to watch this movie while recovering from a serious injury last year. But then he remembered he wasn't supposed to know that- so he just started mouthing the next lyrics to him.

Mike gave him a stunned thumbs up, and started drumming on the desk with his pencils. It was casual, but something just clicked once again. He just felt weirdly comfortable around Mike. Like on the bench, something just made sense being around Mike.

A few minutes later, just as the song was over, Mike and Will locked eyes accidentally.

Will knew it was stupid, since they were in a packed class and they had "just met" as far as Mike was concerned, but as the song drifted to an end he felt like he could just kiss Mike.

It was like strong wave rose in him and made him want to just kiss those lips- and he actually leaned forward a little before he caught himself, smiled another painfully awkward smile at Mike, and looked back to his notes.

But  he couldn't really stop thinking about how great it would feel to kiss Mike, just grab him and pull him down and kiss him, just once. Maybe more than once.

He liked Mike- he liked him because of everything he had told him via instagram, because of how sweet he was to him now and if he was being completely honest- because of how hot he was.

And from the way Mike texted him, he wouldn't rule out the possibility  that Mike liked him too... but the problem was, that meant he liked Hazel.

He liked the girl who was pretty and wasn't awkward and said what's on her mind- and was a GIRL, as far as he was concerned. 

Sadly, Will was none of those things.