𝐗𝐕𝐈

or "call of duty"

-

-

3.50 pm

"So do you want to like- go downstairs?" Mike asked, after the silence stretched for what felt like forever.

"Sure," Will nodded. He brushed a strand of hair out of his face, and almost in response Mike's stomach twitched.

When Will got up, the sweatshirt went almost all the way down to his knees. He looked... Somehow, even with such a big sweater, he looked really pretty.

They walked out of the bathroom and towards the basement silently, and Mike was overwhelmed with a weird sense of pride. Pride that the Byers boy was wearing his sweatshirt. Why would that make him proud- he had no idea.

Right before they went down the stairs, a small light haired figure ran into Mike's legs.

"Hey Holls!" He smiled, leaning down to hug his little sister. His mom must've brought her home from school.

"Mikey!" The little girl exclaimed, smiling that adorable smile, missing her two front teeth.

"Who are you?" She asked, tugging on Will's sweatshirt. Holly wasn't shy, that's for sure. Will smiled at her.

"I'm Will." He said.

"I'm Holly and I'm Mikey's sister and my tooth fell out, do you see?" She opened her mouth wide, pointing to the space missing.
"Holly, that's disgusting! don't do that!"He smiled at Will apologetically, but Will waved him off.
"Wow! You must be really big then. Did you get a present from the tooth fairy?" 

Holly nodded eagerly, looking smug. "The tooth fairy gave me a doll that can blink.  you want to see?" 
"Of course!" Will smiled.

His voice was endlessly patient, and he seemed genuinely interested in that stupid doll. He was really good with kids, Mike realized.  A natural.

"Will, you really don't have to," Mike laughed, muttering so that Holly wouldn't hear him.
Will shrugged, smiling again.

"I honestly don't mind. I like kids," Before he could finish Holly handed him her hand and started leading him back up the stairs to her room.

"What's wrong with your nose?" He heard her say, and sighed. Little kids really were the most shameless.

Before he went down to join the rest of his friends, he stopped at the kitchen to fill a bowl with snacks. He was thinking about Will, about his flowery shirt. He thought about how he didn't seem to care that it got him punched- and about how cute he looked wearing Mike's sweatshirt.

He went downstairs, holding the bowl. His mind was worlds away, trying to make sense of his confused thoughts.

"Finally!" Dustin called when Mike came down, "I thought you left us here, dude." 
Mike let out a polite chuckle in response.

"Where's Will?" Max asked, jumping to her feet. Jane was right behind her: "Is he okay?" The brown haired girl asked.

"He's fine. Broke his nose, I think." Max's face clouded with pure fury. Jane's was identical.