𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

or "intervention" 

*Mike*

Mike had never felt so betrayed in his life. Maybe betrayal wasn't even the right word- he just felt completely exposed, completely cheated. All this time, all this time hurting and obsessing and being confused- all of it was for nothing.

He never would've imagined Will to be capable of such an act.

It was just blatantly wrong- how could he do something like this?

Mike wanted to forgive him. He missed Will more than words could explain- but he simply couldn't. He couldn't let go of that terrible hurt. Will had deceived him, and more than that- he made Mike feel like a complete idiot.

The thing was, he didn't truly believe Will did this to hurt him, or even to trick him. It was clear enough in his face when Mike had confronted him. And despite anything, he knew Will- and Will couldn't hurt a fly.

Except, maybe he didn't know Will. Not really.

When he returned home that day, he almost called Will. He almost ran straight back and held him and asked him to never do something like that again. But he held on to his pride. He blocked Will on every platform imaginable. He had to cut him out, or he'd break down.

He did the only thing he knew to hide the terrible pain he was in- he became really, really mad.

He kicked Will out of their group chat. He erased every single photo he had of the both of them. He stuffed all the shirts Will had left at his house in the back of the closet, because he couldn't bring himself to throw them out.

The next day he skipped English. He couldn't bare to see Will's face, not yet. His friends didn't ask him about why he kicked Will out of the group chat, and when he arrived Jane gave him the biggest hug- so it didn't take much to realize Max and Jane knew, and they had probably told Dustin and Lucas.

He tried to act normal, being a bit to cheery. The one time that Dustin brought Will up- he sent him such a death glare that he stopped mid sentence.

When Will came up to him in lunch, he ignored him. He knew he was being an asshole, petty, but he had to be. He was mad, and he had to show him- no matter how beautiful his eyes were or how cute that shirt looked on him- but when Will ran out, and Mike managed to see the tears glinting in his eyes, his anger dissolved like smoke.

He wanted to hug Will and tell him he was sorry. He wanted everything to be back- but he stopped himself mid thought.

No. He was horrible to you and you hate him. You're really mad at him, super mad at him! He told himself.... but if he was being honest with himself, which he wasn't, hate really wasn't the feeling he was experiencing.

12.30 pm 

He was in his usual bad mad as he sat at he lunch table, where Jane and Max were already seated. He should've been happy, seeing the teacher let him go 15 minutes early, but honestly he was just always in a bad mood lately.

Jane and Max seemed to be invested in conversation, but the moment he sat down the grew silent, exchanging a weird look.

"What?" He asked, confused. 

"Umm.. We wanted to talk to you," Jane said, and Max nodded.
"Okay, shoot," Mike replied, taking a bite of his sandwich. It was mystery meat day, he never ate at the cafeteria on mystery meat day.

"...It's about Will..." Jane continued, studying his face carefully. Mike sighed aggressively, slamming his sandwich on the table.

"Not about that," He called in anger.

"Jeesh, relax!" Max intervened, "Can't you just listen?"

Mike sighed again, slumping his posture slightly. It was weird whenever someone mentioned Will- he wanted to feel angry, he always told himself he was angry- but he was never really angry and he knew it. He was just hurt, and he didn't want anyone to bring it up so he didn't have to feel quite so strongly. It was easier to be fake mad.

"Don't get mad at us. You saw how we're on your side, and we're honestly just trying to help you." Jane continued. Mike rolled his eyes, but that didn't discourage her from continuing. 

"As you probably gathered, we know everything. Will told us." She looked at Max again quickly, and continued talking, "And we've been thinking... You're so miserable lately, and I bet he is too- can't you stop being mad at him already?"

If I stop being mad I'll be sad, and I don't want to be sad:"I'm glad you've been thinking about my personal life and my relationship, but it's none of your business."

"Umm actually it is because none of us can talk to him while you're mad and you know it. You're ruining our party!" Max interjected, her voice mad, but Jane signaled at her to calm down and continued.

"No, actually we were thinking about ourselves and how shitty we've been acting trying to get you to see we're on your side. We've literally left Will all alone and it's so unfair." For a second Mike thought Jane was going to burst into tears, but she blinked quickly an continued talking. 

"It's just... You know he didn't do it to hurt you, right?" She asked, and Mike decided to let go of his facade. It was too exhausting to keep up. He nodded.

Jane seemed encouraged by his nod, and her next words were faster, more excited: "And you liked texting with him, when you thought he was a girl, maybe more than liked...didn't you?" 

Mike had no idea how she knew that, but nodded anyway.

"Did he do anything to hurt you while texting, or violate your privacy or something?"

Mike shook his head, starting to understand where she was heading.

"And you liked him when you dated him, didn't you?" She asked, and Mike couldn't help a small tear.

"Of course I did. I loved him." 

Jane put a reassuring hand on his shoulder, squeezing it, and went back to a softer tone.

"So if we ignore the fact that what he did was wrong, AND IT WAS," She hurried to add, "maybe you could look it... Well, didn't you sort of fall for him twice?"