Chapter Three

Nathan's swanky SUV was certainly a step up from the bus. I sat in the passenger seat, conscious of the silence. A few minutes had passed when I noticed a little stack of photos on the dash. I reached out to look through them and heard Nathan scowl. Well, if he wasn't going to talk to me, I had to entertain myself somehow.
The photos had a sinister theme, but I could appreciate how well done they were. Dark landscapes with distorted angles, ruined buildings, decaying animal corpses... graphic, but very cool.
"You didn't um... you didn't kill the animals in these pictures right?"
"Why do you have to be so fucking nosey." He said keeping his eyes on the road. "Of course I didn't kill them whore, I found them like that. I'm not fucking evil, even though your little hipster friends might like to make out that I am."
"I'm not a whore and you're not evil. These photos are beautiful, you have such an amazing eye." I said admiring them still. "I think it's awesome that you have such a distinct style already."
"Those pictures are ass, okay. I can do way better." Was that him being modest or was it a flex...? I honestly couldn't tell, but I was glad he was speaking to me at least. Despite his turbulent, confrontational nature, I didn't want to be on bad terms with this guy. I didn't want to be on bad terms with anybody here.
"Well I like them." I said putting them back on the dash contently. I really did like them. This boy didn't strike me as the creative type, but I guess I couldn't have been more wrong. He kept his eyes on the road the rest of the way back to school, before pulling up behind the dorms.
"How come we're not in the car park?" I said, looking around.
"I don't want people knowing I gave you a ride, they might think we're friends." He said, still not looking at me.
"Gee, thanks for the compliment. But I'm still grateful for the lift." I replied hopping out of the car. "And I'm sorry about earlier." I wanted to resolve whatever beef I had with Nathan Prescott and go on with school as normal. With any luck I wouldn't run into this dude again.
"Me too." I heard him say. I was certainly not expecting an apology. I smiled as I closed the door, but he still wasn't looking at me. He sped off to the parking lot, not giving me a chance to react further.
~
"Y/n! Where have you been?" It was Dana. Her dorm door was often open and she must have seen me walking past.
"Oh hey" I said coming to sit with her on her bed. "I just needed a little air, you know, so I went to Two Whales for a bit."
"It's 6pm!"
"That's hardly late," I said with a laugh.
"Yeah but it gets dark super early this time of year and the last school bus arrived like ten minutes ago and you weren't on it, you freaked me out!" She continued her rant. "How did you get back? It's really not safe to walk on your own with that sketchy RV hanging around."
"Dana, it's cool I got a lift," I said with a reassuring smile. Bless her for caring this much about someone she'd only met today.
"A lift?" she said frowning. Shit, I bet she knew that all the girls were in the dorm. "From who?"
"Just a friend. Thanks for checking up on me though." I said trying to change the subject. "I'm going to go tidy my room, it looks like a crack den already." I walked towards the door, trying to avoid anymore questions. "I'll see you tomorrow morning!" I said waving while making a speedy exit.

I got back to my room and took a minute to breathe. It had been kind of a wild first day. I sat at my desk and turned on my twinkle lights. The posters on my walls looked down on me as I held my head in my hands. Was every day here going to be that eventful? I didn't think I'd have the energy to keep up if that was the case. At least I'd sorted things out with the Prescott kid. Maybe Victoria would leave me in peace now too.
I put on my pyjamas and got into bed, cuddling up to my stuffed animal. The sheets smelt like fabric softener, and I wasn't long until I fell asleep, still thinking about my encounter at the diner with Nathan.