Chapter Seven

The week had flown by, and was a successful one by all accounts. Well, most accounts. It had now been a full week since I'd spoken to Nathan Prescott, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him. Yes, I loved hanging out with Dana and Max but Nathan was... different. He was so easy to talk to and I felt like we had a real connection that night. It must have been the weed. Yeah, that was it. Unless... oh my God. Did I have a crush on him?

I shook the thought off and assessed myself in the mirror. I was satisfied with my makeup and wore my cute black dress and chunky sneakers. I looked pretty! Maybe even sexy...? I wondered what Nathan would think....I tried to push him from my mind, but still he lingered. The smell of aftershave and marajuana, his crimson jacket, his fluffy hair....

"You ready?" Dana said as she poked her head around my door. "Oh my God, you look totally hot!"
"You too!" I said, although 'totally hot' wasn't exactly a phrase in my vocabulary. But Dana looked amazing, and we were both buzzing with excitement.
"Let's fucking go!"
~

I entered the party with Dana and her boyfriend, Trevor. A girl in my dorm, Stella, was working there and took our coats at the door. Kind of bougie for a party full of high schoolers, but hey, I wasn't complaining. I could already feel the bass of the music shaking the floor beneath me, and an unwarranted rush of adrenaline struck me. I got the feeling this was going to be quite different from the couple of house parties I'd attended in the past.
Moving through the curtain, my eyes were assaulted with colourful strobe lights. Adjusting my vision, I was able to take in the rest of my surroundings.
A DJ dominated the room from a podium, and people were dancing so hard it looked like they could be having seizures (which honestly wouldn't have surprised me with the quantity of flashing lights). The music was so egregiously loud that I doubted Dana would hear me even if I screamed in her face. Despite feeling a little apprehensive, this did look to be one hell of a party. The three of us headed towards the VIP lounge and I was careful to cling to the walls, as far away from the swimming pool in the centre of the room as possible. The campus aquatic centre had sounded like a strange venue to throw a party like this, but a mass of people were raving in the pool, so I guess whoever came up with the idea was really onto something. I, however, did not want to risk get pushed in by any drunk douchebags, so I steered clear.
We reached the curtain to the lounge to meet a girl guarding them.
"Hey Court," Dana said flashing her a smile.
"Hey," she looked at me. "Who's the new girl?"
I recognised Courtney, she was friends with Victoria. I guess she didn't realise I was the girl her bestie seemed to have it out for.
"She's with us." Dana shouted back over the music. I was grateful she didn't mention my name. "No biggie if she comes along to VIP, right?"
"Well, you're not on the list," she said glancing at me with a patronising smile. "But I'll make an exception this one time, because your outfit is totally cute. So... quirky."
It was hardly quirky, and I'm sure she would have vomited in her mouth if she found out it was only $15. I guessed clothes that weren't designer brands were groundbreaking for these people. I smiled at Courtney as we passed through the curtain. She was nice at least, and being denied entry would have been a detriment to my whole evening.

Ah, we had entered the oasis of underage drinking. Trevor went to the bar and got a vodka and lemonade for me and Dana. She was dancing from the get go, sloshing her drink around as she moved. I took a swig of my own drink and joined her, with only a fraction of the confidence. She grabbed my free hand and raised it up with her own, swaying and spinning me around. It was so nice to have a friend who instilled me with confidence in such a way, and before I knew it the nerves were wearing off and all three of us were dancing like crazy people. Trevor in particular; Jesus, and I thought I couldn't dance for shit. I laughed, looking at Trevor's moves and just generally feeling kind of goofy for dancing with no inhibitions.
That's when I spotted him- Nathan Prescott. He was sat on the bar talking to... I squinted trying to make the person's face out. Oh. Victoria, and I think her name was Taylor...? I had stopped laughing and the smile on my face began to wear off. They were laughing though. They were both so close to him too. Nathan caught my eye and I smiled; he didn't smile back. What a snake in the grass. I guess that evening of smoking and chatting was just to break even on the two days of hell he caused me. To quell his guilty conscience. Well I didn't care. Have Victoria! Have Taylor! I should have known it meant nothing to him when he didn't contact me for a week. I was going to enjoy this party without some spoilt little rich kid weighing on my mind. I downed my drink and danced with even more energy, even more spirit.

After finishing my first two drinks and moving onto a third, I was starting to feel woozy. Okay, so my alcohol tolerance was definitely subpar. I was still dancing, but becoming less coordinated and more prone to tripping over my own feet. I looked at the floor and felt a little sick.
"Hey, y/n?"
"Yeah?" I said looking up at Dana a little dazed.
"Me and Trev are going to go find Justin and stuff for a bit, okay? Maybe you should sit down, find Max or something."
I doubted they were off to find Justin, probably more in search of a quiet corner where they could make out. But that was fine, I'd been third wheeling long enough.
"Yeah sure, I'll catch you later! Have fun."
"Love you!" She said prancing away, hand in hand with Trevor.
The room started to spin. Mission assignment: find Max (or something) and sit down. Well I definitely couldn't see Max, so sitting flew up to priority number one. I found a little couch thing and focused hard, trying to text Max with at least some coherency while I sipped from my red solo cup.

Y/n: where r yoy xx

Max: out with Chloe, why?

Y/n: no worries :))

Okay, no Max. That's cool, I'd just find one of my other friends. Like.. uh... right, okay. So I was in a bit of a predicament. I looked down into what was now my forth drink. Could I even make it back to the dorm on my own? I was struggling to even stand without throwing up, let alone walk all the way back to my room. I was staring into space, thinking about what to do, when a boy sat next to me.
"Hey girl." he had a deep voice that I didn't recognise.
"Hi," I yelled back in an attempt to be heard over the music. "Who are you?" It was kind of an on the nose question, but I suppose my social aptitude wasn't quite as sophisticated, being so drunk.
"I'm Hayden," he said with a smooth smile, putting his arm around me. "What about you, gorgeous?" So this dude was acting a little shady. It was probably obvious how intoxicated I was, and I was also clearly on my own. I shuffled away from him a little.
"Y/n." I said, still apprehensive.
"Well, how about a hit of this y/n?" He placed a couple of shot glasses onto the table in front of us.
"I don't know, I-"
"Shots, shots, shots, shots!" Victoria and Taylor chanted, sitting on the couch opposite us so all four of us were facing the table. Nathan followed behind them, sitting on the arm of the chair.
"The more the merrier!" Said Hayden with glee. "Care to join me and my new little friend here, Nate? She's a real hottie." He was making me uncomfortable, so I tried to slide away from him, but he had a tight grip on my shoulder and I was too drunk to put up any fight.
"Sure, brother." He said, but he didn't look too happy.
Hayden poured out a shot of vodka for each of us.
"Listen, I think I've had enough-" I said once again trying to escape Hayden's grip.
"Come on, y/n," Victoria said leaning towards me with a vicious smile. "You're a VIP now, somehow. VIPs don't pussy out of one little shot. What's the problem? Oh, let me guess- you've never drunk any alcohol before right? You certainly look like the type." she said, as she turned to Taylor with a pitiful laugh.
I despised this girl. But I was wasted, and her childish taunt worked on me. I downed the shot and grinned at her like a fool, not knowing I was exactly where she wanted me.
"Nicely done, y/n." Said Hayden inches away from my ear. He went in to kiss me. I stood up, in a complete panic. I was not in the mood to mack on with this guy. I started walking away, but it was difficult. My vision was hazy and my head was banging, I could feel myself teetering. Before I could even get to the exit of the VIP lounge, I passed out.