Chapter Eighteen

The bell rang for first period, and I made me way to English with Max and Kate. We entered the room and I spotted Warren from the doorway.
"Hey," I said approaching him. He was working on some kind of chemical equation; definitely not English.
"Oh, hi y/n." he replied as I plopped down next to him, pulling my book out of my bag. He seemed sort of uncomfortable and I couldn't help but feel responsible.
"Listen Warren, I'm really sorry about how Nathan spoke to you the other day, it was so out of order. I was so pissed at him honestly like, I can't believe he treated you like that."
Warren hesitated for a minute, twirling his pencil around his fingers. Finally, he looked up at me. "Don't apologise, it's not your fault. It's no big deal. I'm used to it."
He was used to it? Fuck no. That's fucked up. This sentiment raced through my mind as the teacher entered and the room fell quiet.

"I'll talk to him tonight, okay? You deserve better than that and he might listen to me." I whispered, as the lesson began.
"So, are you two like.... a couple? I mean you were in his room-"
"No, no it's not like that." I kind of wished it was like that though.
"He's dangerous y/n. I don't think you should meet him tonight," Warren told me earnestly. "If I were you I'd get away from him while you can."
I knew Warren meant well, but that was not an option for me. And besides, Nathan would never do anything to hurt me, I assured myself.
"I can take care of myself. I'm not going to let anyone
treat my English buddy like shit." I said elbowing him with a smile.
"Warren, y/n! Quiet please." our teacher interjected from the front of the room.

The bell rang once more, and I shoved my book and stationery back into my backpack. The lesson had gone relatively well, other than being scalded for talking near the beginning.
"I'm going to go talk to Max real quick," Warren said standing up. "We'll start that project sometime though, yeah?"
"For sure," I smiled. "Next week or something, I'll message you."
Warren gave me a thumbs up, and bee-lined towards Max. I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed towards my next lesson.
~

Y/n: can I talk to you please? like today?

Nathan: OK. meet me at the two whales straight after school.

Y/n: sure

"Hey." I sat down opposite Nathan Prescott in a booth at the Two Whales. "I hope you weren't waiting too long." I had to get the bus, seeing as I hadn't been offered a lift from him. Maybe he was still mad at me, for some reason.
His leg bobbed and he seemed jittery, just like the first time I'd met him here. "It's fine," he replied looking around. He seemed almost... paranoid.
A waitress came to take our orders and I opted for a hot chocolate, while Nathan got a black coffee.
"Can we talk about yesterday please? I'm just confused, to be honest."
"What's there to be confused about?" he snapped back.
"Well I don't know, it's just that we had such a good time. But then one minute we were hugging and the next minute it's like you didn't want to know me." I looked down at the shiny metal table, willing myself not to cry. "And how you spoke to Warren was so not cool." I added, trying to be brave.

The waitress interjected once more with our drinks. I thanked her and awaited Nathan's response. My stomach churned in anticipation.
He sipped his coffee and his face twitched. "I'm sorry for switching up on you like that. It wasn't your fault, I just... fucking..." he struggled to find the words. "Fuck, I don't know. But I'm sorry."
I breathed a sigh of relief. "Well, I forgive you. I'm glad we're cool again, I was really worried!" I smiled at him. He smirked back, but the aura of paranoia surrounding him was still apparent.

"You should apologise to Warren too though. For how you spoke to him."
"No." Nathan said abruptly.
I frowned. "Why?"
"I'm just not." He implored, sipping his coffee.
"Come on, please? He's my friend." Great, I had resorted to begging.
"No fucking way."
"Why?" I said, exasperated. "Just do it for me, please?"
He paused for a minute, his leg still bobbing up and down. "I'm not saying sorry to him. It's weird. But it won't happen again, okay?"
I wasn't exactly satisfied with that response, but it looked about as good as I was going to get.
"Okay." I finished up my hot chocolate and Nathan downed his coffee.
"Y/n, I've got some uh.... business I have to take care of okay? I can't give you a ride tonight."
"Oh, that's okay. What kind of business?"
"Drug stuff."
"Gross. Yeah I'll get the bus and give that a miss."
"I'll see you soon though, yeah?" He lowered his voice and leaned over to me. "At the Vortex Club party Friday, in that smoking hot little dress I bought you."
I blushed and looked up at him, but he was already headed towards the door. Alright, so it was kind of a briefer meeting than I might have hoped, but it seemed worth it for that comment. I was relieved we were on good terms again.
~

I spend the rest of the week messaging back and forth with Nathan. We even FaceTimed on Thursday, while I did my design homework. My phone was propped up on my desk for hours while we laughed over inside jokes and bitched about Blackwell. It was like that Sunday morning had never happened. Y/n y/l/n and Nathan Prescott were a team again.

By Saturday, I was beyond excited for the Vortex Club party. Dana helped with my makeup ("we're going to have you looking like a supermodel for you mans Nathan," she had said) and I wore the dress Nathan had bought me.
"You look so stunning!" Dana exclaimed. "I'm like a proud mama right now."
"You too! Are you ready to go?"
"Yep, and I'm not letting you out of my sight this evening." she said sinisterly, and I laughed. "Y/n, I've got a really good feeling about tonight. Like, my sixth sense is tingling."
"You chat a lot of shit Dana, but you know what, I kind of feel the same way." I said smiling.
She grabbed her phone off of her dresser and shoved in in her purse. "Okay, I'm ready. Let's go."