Chapter Fourteen

"This isn't exactly what I had in mind..." I said, stood next to Nathan outside the Gucci store in the mall.
He looked at me puzzled. Not only was this way to expensive for me to feel comfortable with him buying, it also wasn't my style.
"What's wrong with it? Would you rather Louis Vuitton, or what?"
"No! No. Nothings wrong with it, I mean it's, wow, I just... not exactly.... me." I explained, stumbling with my words. "Not to mention it's way too expensive, and I know you say you don't care, but I'm not comfortable with it."
Nathan seemed genuinely perplexed. It almost seemed like I'd offended him.
"Well, where do you want to go?"
I dragged him over to a map on the wall nearby, a spring in my step. "How about..... Urban Outfitters? They have cool clothes and it's not stupid to expensive."
"Are you sure? I can literally buy you anything you want." Nathan said, seemingly unsatisfied with my answer.
"Well let's go have a look! If I don't like anything there we can go someplace else. I can never usually afford to get clothes from there anyway so it'll still be pretty novelty."
He frowned. "If that's what you want to do."
We walked to Urban Outfitters, Nathan crossing his arms as we went. He hadn't said anything by the time we reached the store.

I waltzed around, running my hand over the clothing racks. I pulled out a velvet crop top and held it in front of me, looking in a mirror.
"It's cute, but.... too casual?" I contemplated, turning to Nathan. He shrugged his shoulders, looking away.
"Hey, come on what's wrong? We were having such a good time in the car." I said, approaching him.
"I just..." he grumbled. "Want to treat you. Do something nice for you for once. And you won't let me."
I sighed. "Nathan, you've done so much for me already. You've driven me hours to bring me to an amazing city that I get to explore, and we've had so much fun these past few weeks. We've smoked weed, talked for hours and you took so much care of me after the last party when nobody else did. And that night at the lighthouse with you was the best day here so far for me. You have done so, so much already and now you're treating me to an outfit." I smiled at him and grabbed him by the shoulders. "You're amazing dude! You're a super giving person, and you don't have to buy me designer stuff for me to know that. I'm so grateful that you're part of my life."
Had I seriously just said that last bit? It kind of just slipped out. I hoped I hadn't freaked him out or come across too clingy.
Nathan took the hanger out of my hand as I anticipated his next move. He smiled down at me, a genuine smile. "Too casual. You're a Vortex Club member now, you've got to dress like one."
"I am?"
"Sure you are. Come on, let's keep looking."
A pile of clothes for me to try on quickly amassed. We also had a competition to pick out the most ridiculous looking outfits for each other to wear; for Nathan, I had chosen a neon yellow cropped shirt, a baseball cap, some ragged black overalls and ridiculously large platforms. I couldn't wait to see the ensemble he'd chosen for me.
"Are we doing the silly ones or the serious ones first?" I asked him as we reached the changing rooms.
"Let's see you in those dresses first. I'll wait out here for you."
I perused my options, trying on each one. I was eventually torn between three different outfits, all of which I showed Nathan with a goofy catwalk.

"Well, which ones your favourite?" He asked

"Well, which ones your favourite?" He asked. I paused, taking a moment to think about it, watching his leg bob up and down on the stool he was sat on.
"I quite like this one...." I said picking up (your choice) dress. "What do you think?"
He raised an eyebrow and grinned. "Yeah, you look sexy as fuck in that."
Did he seriously just say that? I felt my cheeks flush red as I involuntarily smiled. "Okay I'll have this one then please." I said quietly, before taking refuge in the changing room in an attempt to hide how thrilled I was. Nathan Prescott had just called me sexy.
"It's silly o'clock now." I said through the curtain of the changing room while I undressed. "Here are your clothes," I said passing them over the railing to him.

Nathan and I walked out of our stalls at almost exactly the same time. He wore what I'd picked out for him, and I wore pointy sunglasses, a bucket hat, a T-shirt covered in anime girls, pyjamas shorts and gladiator sandals. We laughed as soon as we laid eyes on each other.
"If only you had your fancy camera on you to take a photo of how swag we look." I laughed.
"I guess my shitty phone camera will have to do." he said with a grin, pulling me by the waist to the nearest mirror. I struck a stupid pose as Nathan took a mirror selfie, and we laughed again as an employee walked past with a judgemental glare.
"We'd better dip then." I said, walking back to the dressing room. "Make sure you send me that though!"
"Yeah, yeah I will later." I heard him say, once I'd entered. "Let's get some food now I'm fucking starving."

"Table for two?"
"Yeah," Nathan replied nonchalantly.
"Please" I added, giving him a look.
The waiter escorted us to our table. He couldn't have been much older than us, I thought. When he left, I leaned over to Nathan.
"Are you sure about this? It's kind of bougie." The restaurant glittered with champagne glasses and a chandelier was reflected on the marble floor. It felt criminal to be wearing jeans in a place like this.
"Yeah, course. Get whatever you want."
"Are we doing starters?" I asked.
"Duh." he said flashing me a smile.
I leaned through the menu. Oh my god. Everything was at least $30, and these were just the starters... I felt bad having someone spend so much on me, but I knew Nathan wouldn't have it any other way.
The waiter returned shortly to take our orders.
"And what can I get for the beautiful lady?" he said turning to me. I saw Nathan twitch out of the corner of my eye, but didn't think much of it. I smiled at the waiter and placed my order.

"Are we doing dessert?" I later asked Nathan after eating an ungodly amount of fancy pasta.
"Fuck me y/n, are you always this much of a fat bitch?" he said chuckling at me from across the table.
"Okay, okay," I said smiling. "How's this- McFlurries from the drive through on the way home."
"Sounds like a plan, baby."
Yeah, so he'd called me baby. But not like that. Just in like, a turn of phrase way. I think.
"Let's hit the streets." I said mockingly as Nathan payed the bill and we headed for the parking lot.