Chapter Seventeen

"And you slept in his dorm?!"
"Yeah, but nothing happened," I assured Dana. She had ambushed me the second I stepped out of the shower and I was now being interrogated in her room, still in my towel. "It was only because Victoria locked me out."
"Come on, y/n. He knows you could've stayed with me or Max. He totally has the hots for you! A date to Portland and then a sleepover? It sounds like a dream." she said, as she went and sat at her dressing table and set to work painting her nails. "Trevor better step up his game."
"But this morning was just so weird. It's like something snapped in him, I just don't get it. We were having such a good time...." I replied, feeling my frustration and disappointment rise once again as I opened up to Dana.
"I wouldn't worry about it. Boys are just like that sometimes." She turned to me with a grin. "Maybe he was jealous. You know, you talking to Warren."
I laughed, pulling my towel tight around me and standing up. "Yeah I seriously doubt it. I'm going to get changed, I'll knock on your door when I'm ready."
"Okay, but this conversation is not over!" she yelled after me as I smiled, shaking my head.
~

Now wearing sneakers and an oversized Nike t-shirt, I was ready to spend the day with my best friend. Dana was going to teach me how to roller blade around campus, and I couldn't wait (despite knowing I was bound to fall on my ass at least a hundred times). Spending some time with her was bound to take my mind of how strange Nathan was being towards Warren and me earlier too. I exited my room in a relatively good mood, only to be greeted by the Regina George of Blackwell and her cronies.

"Love what you've done with your door!" Victoria exclaimed as I walked past, referring to the crass graffiti she'd left for me last night. Her, Taylor and Courtney were leaning against the opposite wall, near Victoria's room.
"Totally suits you." Courtney laughed. I guessed she wouldn't be letting me into the VIP section of the next Vortex club party now she'd clocked on to who I was.
"Thank you so much!" I replied sarcastically, trying my best to ignore them. Don't bite I told myself, as Victoria and her crew blocked my way, standing in a line across the corridor.
"So where did you sleep last night?" she continued, clearly enjoying herself. "Let me guess, with that bum behind the Two Whales? That would explain your smell." Taylor and Courtney laughed, forever licking Victoria's ass. I tried to push past them, unsuccessfully.
"Come on y/n we're all friends here right? Oh no- you had to coupe up with your sad little hipster buddy Max, didn't you?"
Don't bite, don't bite, don't bite-
"I stayed with Nathan, actually." Victoria froze, her smug smile fading. "I'm really touched you were all so worried about me, but I have to go meet another one of my sad little hipster friends now, so if you'll excuse me."
Okay, so I probably shouldn't have said that. My relationship with Nathan wasn't exactly straight forward, and he probably wouldn't be thrilled I'd told one of his best friends I'd spent the night with him. I heard the three of them murmuring as I walked to Dana's room, probably calling me a slut or whatever. Even still, it was nice to knock Victoria off her high horse for once.
I let myself into Dana's room and gave her a play by play of what had just happened. I sat on her bed, my head in my hands. Why did this shit always have to happen to me?
"Come on, y/n!" she said comfortingly, as came to put her arm around me. "Forget about Victoria and Nathan and all those losers. We're going to have an amazing day. Just look at these bad boys!" she went on, brandishing a pair of pink and white roller blades.
I smiled weakly and forced myself to get up. "You're right. I'll forget about Nathan and for now. Today's a girls day." Dana linked my arm, and we left the building together, determined to have a good fucking time.

By the end of the day it was pretty safe to say I was still pretty shit at skating, but in a way better mood. Dana was a good friend to me, and she'd certainly delivered when I needed a pick me up. I'd speak to Nathan tomorrow, I assured myself as I lay in bed, staring at the fairy lights strewn across my little couch. They blurred and went dim as I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.