Chapter 2 - Unwanted Company

Season 1

Season 1

Chapter 2 - Unwanted Company 

    It was Shotoku year 5. The nation was at peace, but in its dark recesses, there was a ceaseless bloody conflict between merchants. What they want was the status of shogunate purveyor. The highest rank among all merchant purveyors that possessed the greatest privileges... in other words, it was a position that all merchants were foaming at the mouth to obtain. And they would obtain it by any means necessary... they used all kinds of methods to get rid of the competitors. This conflict gave rise to new grudges, and a spiral of hatred. Eventually not even the merchants could control the never ending cycle, making the world a constant battlefield.

"Then that didn't resolve the conflict at all..." blurted out Yamashita, who listened to the story.

He was unaware that Nogi had heard him, "Excellent observation"

H...huh? He heard that?

Nogi held his cigar and puts it down the ashtray. "It's true violence can be an effective safeguard, but that is only when it is Regulated Violence. Anarchic Violence does not bring anything but tyranny..."

So the times were calling for a chain control sphere, but it was not the merchants that brought that chain.

Seventh Shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate, Tokugawa Ietsugu, age five. Ietsugu summoned the merchants that were at the heart of this quarrel and gave them an order. "If you wish to settle this conflict... then battle it out fair and square!"

It was truly a childlike, simple proposal, but not a single one of them reached this simple conclusion on their own.

"As you command!!!" The summoned merchants bowed their heads.

Violence brought order.

The merchants formed a guild, if there was a conflict interest, they would establish a venue of competition throughout the guild. The results of the competition were indisputable, any other conflict was strictly forbidden.

The method of that competition was an incredible one-on-one fist fight. An overwhelming forming of violence that makes the fighters of each side, confidently settle their differences in the venue. "Violence was sublimated into martial arts."

This battles were held under the supervision of the members' guild. Until one side fell.

"Some of my ancestors were part of that guild. You could say that their efforts allowed the Nogi Group expand to where it was today." Nogi holds his knuckles together.

I still don't know what he's trying to say... Edo period? Guild? Fighting? What's he talking about?

"I see... that's very informative." Yamashita who was clueless as ever was beginning to be at loss of words.