Chapter Nine

The sun warmed Dawncloud's face as she began to wake up. 

The snow was melting quickly, showing signs of their departure soon. She grunted as a shadow lingered over her, causing her face to grow cold quicker than it had warmed. 

"You remember our deal, correct?" Blackbird murmured, leaning over the she-cat. "You better hurry before your kits wake up."

Dawncloud nodded and got in a comfortable position. The small tom sat at her paws as she began to groom him. At first, it was awkward, no noise except the birds singing their song. Then, relief flooded over Dawncloud as Blackbird began to speak.

"Where is the fat friend of yours?" He asked, moving his tail slightly.

"She went to look for more shelter," Dawncloud lied, her ears falling to her head. 

"Why?" Blackbird questioned, shock in his tone. "I said you could stay as long as you need to."

Dawncloud chuckled, continuing to groom his fur.

"We have to get back to my clan, my kits need to become warriors," she explained, gazing softly at her unmoving nest of children.

"Can you not train them yourselves? I'd be happy to help," he gushed.

Dawncloud purred, she really did like this tom, perhaps too much. She knew she couldn't be with him however, and stopped grooming him.

"Your fur looks beautiful," she mumbled, getting up.

"Not as beautiful as you," he purred, sliding his tail under her chin.

Just then, the kits began to groan. 

"Thank StarClan." she said to herself, padding over to them.

"Blackbird, I heard you say that you would help us train," Crowkit confronted, jumping out of the nest. "Or were you just lying to charm our mother?"

Blackbird hissed challenging  in response, causing Crowkit's fur to stand. Her eyes flared as she threw herself at the tom. Dawncloud gasped as he kicked her into the melting snow outside. 

"What was the for?" Ravenkit hissed, sizing up to the attacker. 

Blackbird pinned the kit down as he let out a shriek of terror. Dawncloud unsheathed her claws and clawed at Blackbird back leg. He sprang around quickly before biting down on her neck. Crowkit once again threw herself at his paws, yelling for her siblings to join. Soon, the black tom was surrounded by large kits, all hissing and clawing at his legs. 

He glared around him, fur standing and eyes full of confusion.

"Enough!" He roared before letting out a call. 

Soon charged his brothers, eyes full of rage as the leaped at the kits. To Dawncloud's fear, they picked them up, and sat them down roughly in a twolegs box. Fang pushed twoleg's rubbish in front of the box, trapping them inside. 

"What are you doing?" Dawncloud cried, struggling to get up. 

"I've had enough of your nosy kits!" He boomed, lingering over her. "I'm going to kill them and replace them with my own." 

The kits let out cries of terror as Fang blocked their sight. Claw stalked over to the exit and blocked it, letting out a soft growl. 

Dawncloud looked around desperately in fear. She let out a whimper before sitting down next to Blackbird. She was trapped and her kits were in danger.

"Dovefur was right."