Chapter Twelve

As the seven cats explored the abandoned camp, everything was cheerful. The kits played pretend as they once did their second night of traveling. Once again, Crowkit was Crowstar, and Cloverkit was her deputy. The only difference was the Ravenkit was Ravenstar of ThunderClan, and Featherkit was his deputy. Spottedkit had decided to be Crowstar's medicine cat and was running around with grass in her mouth.

"Get out of WindClan, Ravenstar!" Cloverkit hissed, closing in on him. "We do not allow traitors in our camp!" 

Dovefur gulped as she stared nervously at the kits. Dawncloud was amused as the kits acted out she battle so real.

Just as Cloverkit was about to attack, Featherkit pounced from a top the highrock, giving Ravenkit time to escape. Crowkit hissed angrily as she bolted after her brother. 

"Get out you traitor!" She spat, almost too real.

This game continued until silverpelt began to show brightly, and the kits' legs could not hold them anymore. Dawncloud nudged Dovefur awake, motioning for her to help move the kits. 

"Let's see, that den over their is the Warriors Den, that's the Apprentices Den, the Medicine Den, and the Nursery," Dovefur explained, grabbing Spottedkit and Ravenkit. 

"Take us to the Apprentices Den," Crowkit mumbled, her eyes struggling to open.

Dovefur and Dawncloud chuckled as they walked over to the abandoned den and sat the kits down. All but one. Dawncloud looked puzzled as Dovefur walked away with Spottedkit in her mouth. Curious, she mewed goodnight to her kits and padded after Dovefur. She stared puzzled as the two cuddled together in the medicine cat den and fell asleep. Dawncloud awkwardly walked away and into the Warriors Den, it was lonely and cold. After a while however, she was able to settle down and sleep.

                                                                      ~

A sweet smell lingered in her nose as she opened her eyes. She was no longer in the warriors den, or even in the abandoned clan. Instead, she was standing in front of a beautiful slim cat whos eyes were as soft as a mother's coat. 

"Echofeather!" Dawncloud purred, rubbing against her best friend with tears in her eyes. 

"I'm glad to see you, Dawncloud," Echofeather replied. "I'm very impressed with your kits behavior." 

"They will be great additions to WindClan," Dawncloud praised.

"Ashstar will be delighted to meet them," The slim cat purred, softly gazing at her, but then to something behind her. 

Dawncloud turned around, and then let out a startling gasp as she saw a chubby figure walk towards her. 

"Dovefur?" Dawncloud hissed.

She did not reply, she only returned her gaze to Echofeather.

"You have to tell her the truth Dovefur, everyday, it becomes more and more obvious," she said slowly walking up to the two. 

Dawncloud flattened her ears as confusion tackled her like an enemy warrior. What was going on? How did her two friends know each other?

"You're right," Dovefur spoke quietly, tucking her tail between her legs. 

She sighed as she looked pitifully at her friend.

"I was born in SkyClan, my mother was the deputy and my father was a jealous warrior. In fact, my father was so jealous, he tried to kill my mother in front of my own eyes!" Dovefur quivered, her eyes wide with the memories. He said I was to be a medicine cat and not a warrior, because I was too weak to be deputy, although I had no wish to be deputy. But killed him, I proved to him I was strong while saving my mother, and I fled. When I first went with you, I was so violent because I wanted to prove I was strong, but when Spottedkit wanted to become a Medicine Cat, I knew I had to help her. So I came to Echofeather in my dreams, she helped me figure out my true purpose is to be a medicine cat."  She finished as Echofeather began to comfort her.

Dawncloud went silent as she processed this new information. Her friend was a murderer, and she had been speaking to her best friend without telling her. 

"Dawncloud, please forgive me for not telling you," Dovefur pleaded, her eyes streaming with tears. 

Dawncloud began to wake herself up as she faded back into reality but not before speaking gently to her friends. "I forgive you."