Chapter 11

"Even though he was born as King Arthur's son, Mordred wasn't able to become king due to Arthur believing he wasn't right for the throne." Miss Bustier explained.

"Is Arthur okay with this?" Alya whispered. "Hearing his own life story must be hard."

"He hasn't said anything yet." Marinette looked to Saber who was next to her and looked bored.

"Alya, Marinette, do you have anything you want to say to the class?"

"No miss Bustier," Alya said.

Miss Bustier continued to tell the tale of King Arthur, unaware he was in the front seat. She then opened another book, a book that told Mordred's story. A boy who lived for years not knowing who his father was, his mother told him to be a knight and he rose from there. When he found out who his father was, he immediately wanted the throne. But his father refused to acknowledge him as an heir to the throne. That was when Saber got up and went out of the class. He wasn't a student, so was free to leave when he wanted, it just distracted the class. Miss Bustier excused herself from the class temporarily to speak to him.

She asked him what the problem was, and that was when he asked her a question. "Do you think Arthur Pendragon was a good leader?" She thought for a second then said that she believed the king did the best, but ultimately lead to his people being slaughtered and his death. Saber asked another question if she thought Mordred would have made a better king. Miss Bustier thought about that for a second, she had her theories about what might have happened with Mordred as the king, then told Saber that Mordred wouldn't have rebelled and the kingdom wouldn't have fallen.

Saber slammed his fist on the wall and grasped its firm. He just got justification that he was wrong to have pulled the sword out of the stone. At that time, Miss Bustier realized who he was, why he got so upset about the subject of Mordred and the knights of the round table. She apologized for bringing up the book, but Saber let it go. He went out of the school grounds to think about it. He questioned why he was king, what he did during his time, and if it was right to ignore Mordred.

The last time he thought about it, was during the Third Holy Grail War. The Archer of that War made fun of him, told him he was a failure and made him realize that he did the wrong thing. At first, his wish was to redo his time as king, but Gilgamesh made him see that he wasn't right to be king. His thought that the king serves the people wasn't enough, that his kindness and sympathy towards people meant nothing to those who had no want for peace. He should have figured that out years ago. That was why his wish became to go back in time and never become king. Maybe then, his country had a chance to survive.

Saber was too busy thinking to see the butterfly that was closing in on him. He looked up at the wrong time to see it was just about to reach his scarf, before it touched him, it was blown to dust. Caster descended to greet him; she was the one who blasted the Akuma. She took off her hood as he brushed the dust off his clothing.

"Caster? Why did you do that?" Saber noted.

"I wasn't going to let that thing touch you, okay? Don't ask any further questions."

"That doesn't answer why you helped me."

"I just said...I've had time to think about when I was alive...I was after Adrien for so long, that backstabbing asshole...you might find this hard to believe, but you're the kind of guy I was looking for."

"What?"

"You're kind, brave, trustworthy, a knight in shining armor..."

"Oh no, no, no, no, no, Caster no. Absolutely not."

"I don't mean you and me, I mean Marinette and you. If you don't want her to end up like me, find her another boy. Or you."

"Caster, please stop."