Chapter seven

" chicken nuggets..... chicken nuggets.... where the hell are the chicken nuggets!?" Kai groans angrily at his list of groceries.
He was dead sure they used to be in the back of the store, where the meat section was.
Why in the world did they need chicken nuggets!?
" damn you Jey... or was it Nya?" Kai mumbled as he changed direction, trying to look for the chicken nuggets somewhere else. They were the last thing he needed to get from the list Misaco had sent with him.
Unexpectedly, someone poked Kai on his shoulder, him quickly turning around to face whoever it was.
" do you need help sir...? You seem a bit lost" a red headed girl smiled up at him. Her eyes were beautiful...
" can I help....?" She repeated and he slapped himself awake.
" ehhhhh! Yeah! Yeah! Sure! I mean! I! Chicken nuggets!" His face turns red out of embarrassment and grins widely, trying to hide it. The girl giggles at his stupid expression.
" you need help with finding chicken nuggets, am I right?" She smiled up at him, and Kai nods shyly. " yeah, sorry I .. I just lost my head for a second. My name is Kai! You know, the elemental master of fire" he grins proudly, reaching out his hand to her. She smiled kindly and took it, " my name is Skylor, nice to meet you, master of fire" she happily told him and shook his hand.
" well chicken nuggets usually are in the freezers, perhaps you don't know where that is?" She told him, turning to point in a direction. Then everything came back to him. Of course they're in the freezers... Nya had even showed him where to find them once...
" well, perhaps you could help me find the way to get there, so I won't get lost again" he grins down at her, raising an eyebrow at her.
It was an attempt of flirting, and Skylor rolled with her eyes, but thought of it as cute. After all, this boy wasn't going to stay there for Much longer.
" fine, follow me" she smiled softly at him and gently took his arm to lead the way. With a proud grin, Kai follows. It was until then he noticed how empty the store really was. There were few people here and there, quietly picking out the groceries they needed, but for some strange reason, Kai imagined them turning their gaze at him from time to time. Of course that wouldn't be strange since he was a well known hero, but fans would walk over to him and ask for an autograph... these people were cold, no emotion coming from them...
" I guess these are what you're looking for" the red headed girl stopped in front of the freezer, gaining Kai's attention.
He didn't reply. Something was off and he could feel it. " t.. thank you, I really appreciate your help, just give me a sec, I need to call my sister to check if I got everything we need" he nervously spoke and pulled out his phone from his pocket, totally forgetting to grab a box of frozen chicken nuggets.
He walks a bit away and fast types in Nya's number. He held up his phone to his ear as he heard the call start.
" I guess you don't need these?" At that moment, a large box of frozen chicken nuggets hits him from behind, causing Kai to lose his phone. " what the hell!?" Kai stumbles backwards.
Without a word, Skylor moves towards him, stopping up by his phone and trampled it to pieces. " I guess you're not as dumb as I thought you were" she laughed as she held up her hand, a small fire burning from it. This caught Kai by surprise.
" w...what the!? How!?" He backed away, totally shocked by what was happening. He also realized that everyone in the store was watching them, each one of them now pointing a gun at him. What was going on!? Who were these people!? And why were they after him!?
" I guess those nuggets won't be necessary anymore" a dark grin crossed her face, and before Kai knew it, everything went dark.

" he doesn't answer the phone!" Nya nervously spoke as her fifth attempt was a failure.
Zane and Cole had also picked up their communicators to call out to Kai, but he didn't answer anyone.
" are you sure they mentioned Kai?" Lloyd stood behind a weak 47, who was struggling to get out of her bed. Lloyd was helping her by gently holding her up.
" Positive... I was eavesdropping when I hear them mention his name. They were talking about recruiting him... needing him for a project... they called it objective: Fire... but I don't know what it is! I believe it's a mission, but for what, I don't know. They also mentioned another boy, Brine! Lloyd! We need to get him before they do" 47 grabbed Lloyd's hand as she looked into his eyes.
Lloyd nervously swallowed as he couldn't hold back the truth anymore.
" I visited the village up into the mountains and received a report on a missing member. ( your/name)... I believe the Brine you're speaking of has already been taken..." Lloyd watched her face fall as she received the news. Sadness overwhelmed her and he felt somehow guilty.
" no... no... I failed him..." she whispered as a single tear rolled down her cheek.
" did you know him...?" Lloyd asked, putting a hand on her shoulder, wanting to help her.
" no... not really... I never met him, but... but I wanted to save him before they could reach to him.. do something good for this world.." she whispered, quietly letting her tears fall.
So that's what she was doing... she felt guilty for what had happened back with the league... she had tough she wasn't good enough for them and therefore left to find herself.. in hopes of turning good herself, wanting to become a hero like him...
" don't give up... we're still here.. we can save them. Together" this gained her attention.
" y..you don't get it... this is all my fault... I .. I was too late.. to save him and Kai..." she sobbed. Lloyd quietly shook his head, smiling warmly down at her. " I don't believe anything is too late until it's actually too late." 47 lower her head, drying her tears away. He was right... Lloyd was right, it wasn't too late just yet... there was still hope... right?
" honestly.. I don't understand anything at all... who is this Brine... and why is he so.. important to keep safe?" Jey now interrupts them. Lloyd looked over at 47. He had to agree with Jey. What was so important about this guy? And why is 47 and the mountain village leader so worried for his safety?
" you don't remember?" 47 looked up at Lloyd who didn't seem to understand.
" remember? Remember what?" Lloyd replies, confused at this all. According to 47, there was something he should remember.
" back in the league... when we were kids, when we were a team... don't you remember the boy who everyone were speaking about?" 47 looked up at him, surprised to see that Lloyd didn't remember.
" Lloyd... he was the Renegade before you.