Chapter 13

Sawyer

There’s a blush on my beautiful girl’s face before I say anything. She’s still in her panamas, and judging on her messy hair, she just woke up. “Hiya, Addie.”

“Hey, Sawyer,” Addie mumbles sheepishly.

Stepping inside, I kiss her on her cheek, and when her blush deepens, I raise an eyebrow? “You okay, baby doll? Usually I say something for you to blush. So...I’m guessing, that you were thinking of me.”

She narrows her eyes. “You boys have such a big ego. You especially, Sawyer. I’m surprised that you’re head doesn’t pop.”

I follow her into the messy living room, where pillows are placed on the floor for her comfort, and textbooks and papers are scattered everywhere. “Studying really hard, I see.”

“Sorry for the mess.” She looks up into my eyes and blushes again.

“You’re not going to tell me aren’t you, Addie? Tsk, tsk, tsk.”

She bites down on her lip, making me suck in a breath. She’s so sexy when she does that. Clearing her throat, she whispers, “I had a dream that we got really intimate and I liked it a lot, okay? So leave me alone now.”

I grin at her. “Really?”

“It was just a dream, Sawyer.”

“Really?” I quip again, and scoot closer to her. “So I can’t kiss you like this?” I make a trail of kisses along her arm, proceeding to her jawline. She licks her lips, and runs her fingers through my hair. She smells like strawberries and vanilla, and I can hear her heart racing. Her lips are soft, and when we kiss, it feels like the fourth of July. She moans, and I pull back, but even still, I can feel her taste lingering on my lips. “Like that?”

She nods. “Exactly like that.”

“We’re lucky nobody is home.”

“Yup,” she whispers back, pulling her closer, closing the remaining space between us. “Extremely lucky.”

Addison

I have to suffer the wrath of high school all by myself because my partner in crime was too sick to come to school, and Tris wouldn’t let me stay home. So I’m all by myself. This, in a way, is a good thing, because nobody is here to lecture me as I devour my lunch-chicken wings and fries. I’m polishing off another hot and spicy wing as the Elite walk past my table, Hailey deep in a conversation with Leah to notice me. Darren stops walking, which means Miami has to stop. She raises an eye at the chicken wings and I glare at her.

“Addison Coleman.” I turn my attention back on Darren. He may be attractive, but he’s a total douche bag. Growing up with Zachary was torture, but having Darren, his best friend in the house every day was hell. As a child, growing up, I hated him. He used to, and still does, looks at me like he wants to devour me. He likes to touch me inappropriately, and thinks that I’m okay with it. I remember this one time when I was eleven, and he was twelve, I was politely telling him to stop touching me. And he tried to kiss me, and I pushed him away. “Come on, Addie,” he said, “You know you want to.” No, I actually didn’t want to.

I hate him so much, and God forgive me, but it’s the truth. If my brother is bad, Darren is definitely worse. Actually, these days I don’t even know anymore. “What do you want?” I snarl, remembering his comment from a couple of days ago. Why were his eyes there in the first place? Geez.

“To say I’m sorry. And congratulations.” I roll my eyes.  I’m so revolted by this boy that every time I see him I want to bang my head against a wall. Yup, so much love.  “You must be so excited.”

Miami, who finally stopped staring at my food, looks at Darren. “Come on, Darren. Let’s go.”

“I’m talking,” he snaps, making Miami flinch.

Thank God one of the boys calls him over, making him grab Miami’s hand, which again, makes her flinch, and walks away.

As they walk away, I’ve suddenly lost my appetite. Miami gives me a small smile, but even dogs smile better. I know that somewhere, deep down, she’s hurting; she’s living in a hell. She’s silently pleading for someone to save her from drowning before it’s too late. I know, because not too long ago, that same smile was plastered to my face.