Step One

The boat arrived in the harbour in France two weeks after it set off from Tristan, its dull, silver hull a complete polar opposite to the vibrant whites and yellows of the other boats. The harbour was incredibly bright and vibrant, just like all the boats in it. Compared to the harbours and ports in the UK, the French harbour was a completely new experience and was a lot nicer. Luke and Daniel knew that the police were probably still chasing them and so they had to be quick. Not only did they have to be quick, but they also had to be careful. One wrong move or word to another person could completely disrupt their plan and set it on the path to failure.

"Do what I say," said Daniel harshly as they left the boat, "when I say so. We go into Trouville-sur-Mer, place the bioweapon under some bed on the beach and get the hell outta there."

"Couldn't we place it somewhere more populated?" asked Luke.

"Luke, we don't have time for niceties," replied Daniel impatiently, "if we did, we probably would have taken them. But we don't. So shut your mouth and follow me."

Luke and Daniel left the boat shortly after their conversation and packing up a few essentials, like the bioweapon itself. Luke and Daniel had both dressed in regular outfits, a simple V-neck and jeans with Nike sneakers. Fortunately, the police weren't as dense in France as they were in England so Luke and Daniel did have some space to be careless. However, because of precaution, they made sure not to be too intrusive. They didn't walk straight to the beach; they went to a Costa for some decaf coffee before setting off to the beach. Because they were going to the beach, Daniel and Luke brought beach balls, boogie boards, beach beds and a windbreaker. They didn't take long to walk to the beach and were able to plant the weapon without anybody noticing. Then, because they were trying not to raise suspicion, they stayed at the beach for an hour and actually enjoyed themselves, making use of all the things that they had brought along. Eventually, however, their hour passed and they had to go back to the boat. As a final act, Luke and Daniel half-buried the bioweapon in the sand with nothing but its nozzle sticking out of the ground, which would hopefully be passed on as a small animal. On their way back, Luke and Daniel went into a restroom and dumped all their beach equipment in one of the cubicles, locking it from the inside. Then they slowly walked back to the boat as they were able to remotely activate the bioweapon for its three-week timer. Before they even thought about leaving, however, Daniel launched a large drone into the sky - probably a DJI model - and used his phone to control it. Luke was immediately confused. Why the hell did we need to walk to the beach? Thought Luke.

"Daniel?" asked Luke, a look of confusion on his face as he put his hands in the air, "What are you doing?"

"Plan A," replied Daniel through his teeth, "this will spread quicker."

"So why the hell did we need plan A?" said Luke, visibly losing his temper.

"In case plan A didn't work. Don't be pissed with me, Luke. I'm just doing what I need to do to achieve our goal."

That bastard seems to get everything right, thought Luke. Suddenly, Luke tensed up. He didn't know why, or how. However, in every situation where this had happened, something bad had always occurred after it. That must have meant that something wasn't right. He had to tell Daniel.

"Daniel," said Luke, "we've got a situation."

"What is it?" Daniel sprung up from his hunched pose so quickly he probably developed a spinal problem.

"That's the thing: I don't know what it is."

"What, did your spidey sense tingle?" said Daniel mockingly, then muttered, "gonna have a spinal problem now because of your dumb ass."