Payback

Caryna left the apartment two days later. Luke had begun to smell strange, so she thought it best to leave him there and get someone else to handle his body, despite her wanting to. She took a private jet back to France, where people had evidently inferred that Luke was no longer alive.

"Take the day off," ordered Caryna the moment she stepped into the manor. Everyone seemed relieved. They hadn't had a single day off in months. Plus, they had time, even if it wasn't much, to defeat Germany. Caryna slumped into the nearest plywood chair she saw and looked blankly at the ceiling, a dotted white ceiling that reminded her of polystyrene whenever she looked at it. I can't even prove the USA did anything, thought Caryna, disappointed in herself, I can't even fucking prove that they killed Luke. Caryna stood up, ripped the nearest PC out of its place and through it at the wall with all her might. It smashed into a million pieces upon impact. Well, she thought, I wasn't expecting anything special. She slumped back down into her chair as she thought what she could do, if she even could do anything, to defeat Germany and, more importantly, the US. Just then, there was a heavy knock at the door. Caryna looked up suddenly. Who could it be? Thought Caryna as she looked at her watch, which read 5AM, I didn't get anything. It must have been Jacob buying another fucking pizza. She stood up slowly, her legs shaking suddenly, and made her way to the door, which seemed a lot further away than before. Looking through the peephole in the centre of the door, Caryna could see that it was, as she had suspected, a Pizza delivery man brandishing a three-box high set of pizzas. She cautiously opened the door as she pulled out her wallet.

"How much are the pizzas?" asked Caryna as she fumbled mindlessly through the abyss commonly known as her wallet. The pizza guy looked at her with a smile on his face, a smile that seemed to convey some form of evil.

"I don't give a shit," replied the delivery guy snidely as he pulled an object from behind him that, upon further inspection, was a gun, "I'm just here for you. Now, unless you want for your life to amount to a splatter on a wall, I suggest you come with me."

Caryna looked at him for a few moments as she weighed up her available options in her head. Why did I sign up to this? Thought Caryna incredulously, why did I let Daniel talk me into this? She looked up from the floor and began to walk with the man to his black SUV. When they got into the SUV, Caryna saw that there were three or four more people in the car. She sat awkwardly between two of them in a seat facing the back of the car as the driver began to drive. What do they want with me? Thought Caryna once she had calmed down enough to comprehend the situation, they didn't get anyone else to come with, meaning they must know about my promotion to leader. But how could they? The operation was staged by the USA and these people don't look like the type of people to run with a government project. They seem to be more street-based.

"What do you want with me?" blurted Caryna once they were a solid five minutes into the journey, "and where are you taking me?"

The men stayed silent and didn't move, the only noise coming from the hum of the engine and the only motion coming from the driver. Caryna looked down at the floor, already beginning to give up. However, she still looked around cautiously for anything that might help her with escaping if these people really were going to do what she thought they were going to do. There's a concealed TV in the car roof, thought Caryna, making a mental note of everything in the SUV, detachable head-rests, hidden compartment below my chair and a hair-pin in my hair. Could come in handy. She looked around to the other people in the car, who seemed to not have noticed her stationary snooping of the back of the SUV. Upon further inspection, Caryna noticed that each of the men were carrying a handgun. Shit thought Caryna as she re-routed her plan to account for the guns, that's gonna make my life a LOT more difficult. Still, not impossible. However, Caryna couldn't go all this time without thinking about Luke, the only person who she had ever truly loved, only for them to end up dead. She remembered leaving his dead body there after two days, her cheeks caked in tears from almost 24/7 crying. She remembered how the apartment's carpet had been covered in blood from multiple people's blood, and how the room had smelled like metal. Caryna's thoughts were suddenly fuelled with rage. These people were involved in Luke's death, she thought to herself, hyping herself up so that she would maybe have a chance to come out of the ordeal alive. She looked at the person to her left, a tall and muscular henchman-type figure who stood well-over six-feet tall, a height which caused his head to hit the roof of the car. She tapped his leg softly to get him to turn to her.

"Yes?" asked the man irritatedly as he turned his gaze to Caryna, his muscles tensing.

"Have any of you fuckers heard of Luke Ross," she said bitterly as she started the execution of a plan that would probably end up in her death or, at the very best, life-threatening injuries.

Everyone looked at her in confusion and, for a brief second, Caryna's thoughts were filled with hope, believing that the element of surprise might give her the advantage over them. The men were paralyzed for a few seconds, in which time Caryna mentally prepared herself for what would follow. You can do this, she thought optimistically, they're the bad guys. Whatever you do will be considered justice. She breathed deeply, once again, as she reached into her hair to pull out her hairpin. The men seemed to leave their dazed state and were pulled back into reality. Caryna didn't bother wasting any time and, after many milliseconds of even more mental preparation, held the hairpin tightly in her right hand and stabbed it through one of the henchman's eyes. They immediately let go of their gun, which was still in its holster and plastered their hand over their eye, which was now profusely bleeding blood. Caryna pulled out the gun with no resistance from the man and aimed it at the henchmen sitting next to her that didn't have a hairpin in their eye and shot them in the hands then refocused the handgun to the other two henchmen who, despite seeing many horrific events in their lifetime, were petrified by what Caryna had just done. Not wanting to cause fatal wounds, Caryna stuffed the gun into her trousers and began prying the TV out of its holder, an activity which took a little more than three seconds. She pulled out her gun once again and, going against her previous promise to herself, shot the two men opposite to her in both shoulders twice. They slumped down like jelly. Now, all Caryna had to do was incapacitate the man on her left and the driver, as well as the guy who had posed as a pizza delivery man.

Unfortunately, the people at the front had evidently noticed the chaos which was taking place in the back and slammed the brakes on the SUV, abruptly stopping the car. Then the front doors opened as the men walked out to the back, giving Caryna some time to prepare. She ripped out all three remaining guns from the people's pockets and shot the henchman whom she had previously shot in the hands in the feet. The guns she had looted all seemed to have full magazines, the only exception being the one she had predominantly been using, which was now out of rounds. She threw it at one of the henchmen opposite her and propped her guns to either side of her. The doors opened, and Caryna shot at any object that overstepped its boundaries. She waited after wasting a third of her bullets and picked up the TV to use as a shield. She also quickly checked the hidden compartment below her which, after inspection, contained nothing but empty space. The two people who had been riding in the front weren't popping up anywhere, so Caryna decided to squeeze through the small opening that had been previously covered by a three-inch thick covering of glass, but had since been torn to shreds by recent gunshots. The space was just small enough for Caryna to fit into and, to her surprise, led into an empty area. She fell out of the hole and landed with a thud on the gear shift lever.

"Shit," groaned Caryna after a few seconds of her just lying there motionless. She slowly pulled herself to the driver's seat, put her seatbelt on and started driving forwards.

Caryna got back to the manor without much trouble. Apart from having to wake some of Praevalens up to treat the injured henchmen, Caryna didn't have to do much. That was until she entered the conservatory of the manor, an area of the manor that was almost never occupied or entered. As she entered the room, she could sense something was wrong. A strange and alien odour filled the room, and a silhouette stepped out of the shadow of an external tree. It took Caryna many moments to trial and erroring her way to the identity of the man, which was something considering the state of them. They appeared to have had most of their face ripped off and replaced with a skin graft, giving an effect of a checkered quilt. One of their eyes was missing, leaving a hole where their right eye should be. They were walking with a cane and hobbled towards Caryna slowly.

"Daniel," exclaimed Caryna. How the hell did he survive, thought Caryna to herself as her mind raced through different possible ways in which Daniel could have survived.

"Sit the fuck down," ordered Daniel in a tone that was higher than it should have been. Caryna, not wanting to have to commit any more heinous sins, obliged and sat down, quickly followed by Daniel.

"Let me tell you a story," said Daniel as he began to reminisce.