Old Friends

"Niki, how are you alive?" asked Luke, both bewildered and scared.

"Yeah, like you care," replied Niki, snorting.

"I had to do that Niki," said Luke, "you were onto me."

Right then, Niki punched Luke in the nose. Because of the state she was in, it hurt less than a light slap. Luke began to laugh until he saw Niki's expression.

"Ow!" said Luke, in mock pain. Niki had never been able to really hurt Luke, so he wasn't surprised when it didn't this time. It hurt even less with Niki in her weakened state. Why am I enjoying myself so much, thought Luke as he kneeled down to look at Niki straight in the eye.

"You deserve that, bastard," spat Niki, hostility in her voice.

"How did you survive?" asked Luke, his voice filled with curiosity. He had sworn when he saw Niki's remains in the massage parlour that she was dead, but obviously he had been looking at a different body. After all, he had never seen her insides.

"It's complicated."

MANY MONTHS AGO

Luke walked into his room to call someone, probably Daniel. Niki was suspicious of Luke ever since he had come back from France and put her head to the door to hear what Luke was saying.

"Can you get them to stage an accident?" said Luke. For once, Niki was grateful that the walls were so thin as she could hear his voice almost perfectly. There was a pause as the person on the other end spoke. Luke spoke again, and Niki thought she heard Luke start to cry.

"A bombing at Massage Palace," said Luke through small sobs. Wow, thought Niki, the bastard's gonna kill me. Niki had to formulate a plan else she'd be dead the next day. She couldn't think of one before Luke put down the phone and Niki scrambled to the couch in an attempt to appear serious. Then Luke started asking Niki questions. She realised that she didn't have to tell him the truth - she could just lie to him.

"When do you have lunch tomorrow?" Niki completely predicted this question. Luke had never paid attention to her work before as he had always considered it to be a stupid job. The only question he could ask was when he had a break.

"Why?" Despite Niki's inside knowledge, she still had to act like she was oblivious to Luke's plan.

"I was hoping we could have lunch together."

"My lunch break is at 12. Where do you want to go?"

Niki implemented her strategy of lying and told Luke a complete fabrication/lie. The truth would end up in her having to take the day off work, which Luke would definitely notice, and her just leaving in the middle of the day would probably get her fired.

"We can decide tomorrow."

Luke got out his phone and messaged Daniel.

Niki went to her room, locked the door and laughed at the top of her lungs.

It worked because Niki's lunch break was actually at 11:20, not 12. Then she would have to check when Luke planned to bomb the place and she could work around the situation. God am I tense, thought Niki, I'm sweating like a pig. She had never felt so nervous. Even as she was creeping into Luke's room to check his message she could feel her pulse increasing constantly. She, fortunately, managed to reach the phone before she had a stroke.

11:30 AM TOMORROW

Niki slipped his phone quietly out of his pocket and took a quick picture of the message. She then tiptoed out of the room and sat down on the sofa. Phew, she thought, I'm not going to die. Niki, like Luke had to Ross, suddenly felt a strong hatred towards Luke. He had killed the mayor in Paris and had the audacity to lie to him about it, then began planning a bombing against her which would kill other, innocent people who had nothing to do with what she had done; in other words, completely innocent.