Flatline

The war was far from over and they had already pumped so much into it. It was obvious to everyone that they were losing, considering how one-sided the whole ordeal was. The French Empire was heavily outnumbered on every aspect by the behemoth force that was the combined might of Russia, the USA and Germany. Luke was in self-imposed isolation while he tried to figure out a solution to the problem. Nothing came into the chamber.

Luke sat back on the floor, his legs crossed after completing his daily yoga exercises. He opened up his spiral-bound notepad and began jotting down some basic ideas which, although implausible, made Luke laugh. After a few minutes of staring at the notepad, Luke pulled out his iPod and played some music. He moved to the mattress on the floor that was pushed up against the foam wall and laid on it, humming to the beat of Viral, his notepad still in his hand. He looked at the bright white ceiling which had two LED lights ingrained into it and the light-grey walls that had the same design as an anechoic chamber. He placed the notepad on top of one of the pyramid absorbers before taking his earbuds out and pulling the thick duvet over him in the hope of getting some rest.

It was noon, 1 week after Luke began his self-imposed isolation when Luke had an epiphany. Jesus thought Luke as his hand moved subconsciously to his notepad, his gaze still focused in front of him, I've done it! I've done it! Luke immediately pulled on a pair of jogger pants and a vest before running out of the room and into the HQ. Everyone noticed him after a few moments and walked up to him. One of them asked him,

"Have you done it?"

Luke blankly replied with

"Yes."

He walked over to one of the available chairs and sat down on it before pulling out his phone. He punched in a set of numbers rapidly and pressed the phone against his ear. Eventually, the ringing from the phone stopped as the person on the other end of the line picked up.

"Hello, George," said Luke a few seconds after the line connected.

"Hello, Luke," replied George calmly, "long time, no see."

"Haha," replied Luke sarcastically, "listen, George, I have a job for you."

"I'm always open to job offers," said George nonchalantly.

"Maybe not this one," said Luke as he looked at the floor, "I need you to hack into some databases."

"Let me guess," replied George, clearly savouring the fact that he was in total control of the situation, "Russia and the USA?"

"Yup," said Luke monotonously, "I've had an idea."

"Well?" said George expectantly, "what is it?"

Luke sighed as he obviously didn't want to give any details over the phone.

"Just completely fuck up the servers," said Luke bitterly, "fry every piece of digital data on both countries."

"Russia has all its data stored on potatoes, you brainlet," replied George jokingly.

"What do you need?" said Luke, ignoring George's remark.

George thought for a second.

"Half your computer network, two weeks, a team of ten people and a paycheck of ten million Dollars. And also a flight to France."

"Je-sus, you have increased your wages since we last spoke."

"I'll be there in around four days. It'll be nice seeing you again."

"Yeah, whatever. Whatever you do, George, don't name your group Team 0. It's a shit name."

"Yeah, Luke, because I'd name my group of highly skilled hackers Team 0."