Two New Survivors

The group arrive at the front gate, not too much trouble, a zombie death here and there.

“We made it out,” Alexis breaths. “Not really, I mean, there’s still the undead everywhere. You know, the zombie apocalypse doesn’t just end.” Audrey says, “hey, does anyone actually know where the shopping centre is?” Fenn points out, they all exchange glances. “I do believe it’s south-west from here,” Kitty offers. “Let’s go south-west then!” Audrey sings, her ears prick up at the sound of yelling behind them.

“Wait!” A voice cries, “please!” Another voice adds, the group turns around. “Son?! Flo?!” Audrey calls out to the running, yelling figures.

They stop when the get to the gang. “Hi,” they pant, bending over and clutching their knees in an act to not fall over. Audrey wraps her arms around the two girls’ neck, hugging them. “I thought you guys were dead,” she whispers into their ears. “Well, we’re-not,” Flo replies, panting. “Though-I-really-don’t-know-how,” Son pants. “It’s good that you’re here, we can all work together,” Audrey turns and gestures to the group, “to survive this thing.” She adds, “we’re going to the shopping centre, you know, for protection, supplies and for a home base. Come with us,” Alexis offers, “sure,” the new group members reply together. They give warm smiles and they all set off, seeking refuge and looking out for the undead.

They trek over the roads, through bushes and past buildings. Everything was so… deserted. They walk in silence, their footsteps already making enough noise.

A series of loud groans come from a building. About 10 well-dressed walkers stumble out of the building, they pick up the smell of our heroes, they quicken their pace, they’re practically sprinting towards the team.

“Ahhh, guys?”

“Yes Flo?”

“Uhhh, zombies.” She points at the fast approaching horde, fear twists through everyone’s stomachs. Kitty and Alexis push their way to the front of the group, Audrey following closely. The three girls stand between the zombies and their pack. “We’re going to need all six of us if we’re going to make it out of this round,” Audrey says, tossing her head back to make sure everyone else hears. “We don’t exactly have weapons,” Son points out. But by that time, the undead are trying to eat them and one has already fallen due to a fatal blow from Alexis.

“Crap,” Audrey spins around and smashes a nearby car window, she unlocks it and opens the door to step inside. “There’s nothing in here- fuck!” She cries, a zombie is attempting to gnaw on Flo’s face while Son holds it back, barely. “Ahhh, help me!” Flo cries, “bullocks,” Audrey whispers. “I’ve got it!” Alexis yells, she runs over to the struggling pair, and bashes the zombie. An idea flows into Audrey’s mind and she pops the trunk to investigate any kind of weaponry that may be there. “Yes,” she breaths as she pulls out a wrench. “Son!” She calls, Son’s head whips to face the voice. “Here!” Audrey tosses the hefty weapon, Son’s eyes bug out at the sight of the flying weapon, and she positions herself and somehow manages to catch it, though it did hurt a few fingers. “Thanks!” She calls, she turns to be faced with an undead, and she swings the wrench, forcing it to connect with the creatures face. His jaw pops out, as do a few teeth, she swings again, this time hitting the brain. The zombie falls to the ground as Son continues to repeatedly smash his skull in, blood flying everywhere, covering her face.

Fenn holds off one while Alexis holds off another. Eventually, they kill the ten, yay! There were no issues and Flo was without weapon. Oh well.

They keep walking for what feels like hours, and hours, and hours. “Hey, you sure it’s south-west? Are you sure we’re even going south-west?” Fenn questions, “ahhh, yeah?” Was all Kitty could say, “so we’re lost?” Audrey asks, “maybe…” Kitty replies. “Great! That’s just great,” Fenn drops to the ground, letting her bludgeoning pole rest beside her.

The sun slips between the cracks of buildings, slowly but surely setting. “We should get off the street before dark.” Flo announces, “I agree,” Son grunts. The team nods their head in agreement, all except Kitty. “Look, I’m sure it’s not that far away. If we just press on-”

“Sorry but, I’m not taking that risk. I want to live longer than a day,” Flo says. “But-”

“I agree with Flo, we all did. Let’s just pick a building in this sector and we’ll rest and re-plan tomorrow.” Alexis spoke, hope filling her voice. Kitty mutters a ‘fine’ and they move on.

Fenn gets up, pain coursing through her legs, as did everyone else’s. They look around at their surroundings, metalling taking notes on what looks secure. “Perhaps that office building over there will do nicely,” Son points out. “The one where all those zombies came from? I don’t think so,” Fenn replied sarcastically. “Oh…” Son breaths, “well maybe… What about we walk until the moon is up, and we’ll settle in the closest building? Sound alright?” Alexis offers, “I don’t like our chances of survival there,” Flo mumbles. “Well you pick a building!” Alexis snaps, “fine. We go for that building. The medical centre.” She points in the direction of the centre.

They all move forwards to the medical centre, at least they could grab some medication if needed there. And it would have a level of security, and possible survivors.