Lay Your Weary Head To Rest

"Right, we need to get out of here. We should head for the country," Kitty orders. "Why?" Cas questions, "because I said so," Kitty snaps. Cas recoils, "let's go," Kitty bosses. The remaining survivors march off, memories of their deceased friends rampage their minds. All minds except Kitty's.

Moonlight lights up the road, acting as a guide to "safety". Marching on until midnight they go, only stopping to raid small stores and cars. "We should rest, pitch up here, we should get to the country in a few days' time." Kitty orders, Cas rolls her eyes as Flo settles down on the grass. "Who died and made you leader?" Cas mumbles, "excuse me?" Kitty snaps, Cas turns around to face her.

"I said: Who died and made you leader?" Cas spits, "you wanna know something hot-shot? With out me, you'd be dead." Kitty spits back, "actually. I got this far without you, and you haven't done jack shit for me," Cas growls. Kitty steps closer to Cas, getting in her face. "Fine." Kitty takes a step back and picks up her blade. With one quick motion, Cas is bleeding from the throat. Dead.

Flo stares at the corpse, too scared to move. Kitty drives the knife through Cas' skull, repeatedly. Blood and brain bits fly from Cas.

Kitty stops and looks at her handy work. "That's better," she says. She turns to Flo, "seeing as you were away for so long. Have you learnt anything, about the apocalypse?" Flo shivers as Kitty speaks. "Ahh, yeah, I learnt something... It w-was witchcraft..." Flo explains, "witchcraft eh? Well I wasn't expecting that! How'd ya find out?" Flo gulps, "I went looking for Fenn, once she left when we split from you guys, and I found a door, with a... With pentagram on it," Flo screws her face, trying to concentrate, remember. "And I went in and found an altar, it had a spell and I found a witch, I think. She, er... She then snapped me to you guys, she was about to kill me, but said the poison will kill me soon enough... Hey, that got me thinking. Dr John Holmes injected us both with something... you don't think..?" Kitty listens, intrigued by the whole story. Kitty sighs, "if what you say is true, then we're facing witchcrafted zombies, and we're going to die... perhaps." Kitty responds, she thinks about Flo's words.

The next morning rises and Flo is more scared than ever, more scared of her "friend" than of the zombies.

After walking for a few days, they finally reach a little house in the country. "Kill anything that moves," Kitty instructs. Flo nods, only to get away with it. Kitty moves inside the house and Flo looks around the outside.

There's nothing on the outside, so Flo makes her way in. She sees Kitty about to beat the Hell out of something. Flo advances to get a better look.

Her eyes widen in horror as she sees Kitty raising her weapon and bring it down on a little, crying girl cradling her teddy bear.

"This is my house now bitch."

She brings the weapon down into the girls head, splitting her skull, she moves onto the little boy next to her, doing the same thing. Kitty was smashing skulls.

"Kitty stop!" Flo quickly covers her mouth, where did that burst of courage come from? Only God knows.

Kitty slowly turns her head towards Flo, her movements seem as though they are mechanical. A wide, wicked grin splitting her face, blood splattering her face and hair. "Yes?" She croaks, Flo steps back in fear.

Flo looked deep into Kitty's eyes. She was breaking.

Breaking.

Breaking.

Broken.

Kitty charges at Flo, waving her weapon in the air. Flo leaps out of the way and crashes into the couch, she quickly repositions herself in a fighting stance. Kitty charges again and Flo runs away.

Yeah she had a gun, but she wasn't going to shoot one of her friends.

Flo scrambles away into a room, too fast for Kitty to figure out which one.

"Come on Florence! All fight and no rest makes Flo a dull girl!"

Flo shudders at the voice, she curls up against the back of the door.

She hears Kitty approaching and open one door.

"Here Florence, Florence, Florence!"

The door slams shut, she was about to open Flo's door. She holds her position, keeping the door shut. Kitty tries to open it, but it doesn't budge due to the human holding it shut.

There's silence for a moment, until Kitty bashes the door, breaking some of the wood. Wood flies everywhere and Flo cowers, Kitty looks down through the hole she made.

"Herrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee'sssssss Kitty!" She sings, Flo gets up to run away because she saw a window and thought 'hey! Maybe I could escape through that!'

Kitty swings the door open, staring at Flo with wild eyes and a bloody face. Flo bashes the window, tugs the window, but it doesn't move, maybe because it was locked.

Flo spins around, fearing her life. And that's when she did something she never thought she'd have the guts to do.

Flo grabs her gun and points it at Kitty, "tsk, tsk Flo. Never thought you'd pull a gun on your friend." Kitty fakes a hurt face, Flo fights back a few tears. "But you're not going to shoot, you're not the type," Kitty says. Fear twists within Flo as Kitty takes her finale lunge.

BANG.

Kitty lies sprawled on the floor, blood oozing from her head wound. The bullet, however, was not rested in Kitty's head. It was resting in the wall behind Kitty.

Flo pants as she looks at the scene before her.

Blood pooling on the ground, splattered onto the walls, a bullet hole in the wall. Two dead kids in the next room, probably dead parents too.

Flo puts her gun away and walks out of the room, she lets a single tear fall from her eye. One tear. She wasn't going to cry over the girl who just tried to kill her.

Flo draws a shaky breath and coughs, blood splattering her hand.

"The poison in your system will kill you soon enough."

Flo tries to breath, but coughing and the blood spluttering from her throat stops her from doing just that. She grabs the couch for support and clutches her chest.

"Poi- the poison!"

And they were the last words she ever spoke. She collapses to the ground, still clawing for breath, but the blood drowns her.

So there in little country house, lay two girls, two children, two parents.

Just down the road, a walk that takes three days' time, lies a girl, her throat slit, eternal sleep in her own blood.

In the next city over lay three girls, but more bodies surround them, they too will spend forever drowning in red.

By the church, up the road, still hung the girl, bled and gone.

In a little town, a weeks' walk away, rotting is the human, who fell away.

So no matter how hard you fight, how much you try to live. You, will always die.

Always.