13

Only Dante's friends didn't seem surprised. It was enough for Josephine to recall that the fall that beheld his brother was a cut that ran too deep. Too deep to ignore, to put aside.

Josephine couldn't understand what it would be like. To hold siblings, to hold family, near. The wall of the mansions were so quiet, so cold, the only acknowledgement her parents deemed her was from achievements. Fame. Fortune. Success. That, and the slick stench of ugly greed.

Greed that stopped her from leaving. Greed that kept Josephine filming. Greed that's all that she was.

Greed that's all that she knew.

Camillo looked annoyed, too tired to explain himself once more to Dante. He only stared and stared at him, before muttering to himself."How many times do I need to repeat myself?"

Though Beatriz had heard him."You can't expect us to keep quiet about the whole thing." She said, her voice gutted with that ferocity Josephine was familiar with. "All clues point to your family, even if you tell us they're innocent."

Camillo smiled."Touché, Beatriz. But how do I know that this isn't a cheat ploy?"

"You have my word." Dante cut in, his voice a near meter above a whisper.

For a long minute, Camillo stood. Dragging his gaze and holding it against each face against him, riddled with quiet content. Those lined with Dante met it head-on, unflinching as his eyes bored into each and every one of them.

Camillo flickered back to his friends, his voice hoarse. "On your brothers death?"

Josephine felt the weight of those words as Dante said, "Yes."

Truth, or lie, Josephine couldn't tell. Not as those eyes glossed over to Camillo and held firm.

It was a long hour for them, for the two groups. Even for Josephine. With each banter and slur muddling up their alliance, it all seemed to had fallen between the veil of common ground. Common interest, but not common ideals. Josephine brushed off her skirt, imaging the conversation to have finally closed.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, Josephine thought, turning around towards the door. But in this case, their enemies were each other, and their friends were as well. Quite a strange pairing, Josephine mused.

Until Camillo spoke, halting her in her tracks. "One more, small, teeny-tiny question.What's your excuse for factoring out your family?" She heard the giddiness in his voice. "I'm sure you're all just so sweet and friendly over there."

Josephine tip-toed back into her spot, to only see Dante look mildly annoyed as if the possibility could never occur."You think my own blood would betray me like that?"

Josephine rolled her eyes. Here they went again.

"Anything can happen for the throne. " Camillo chided, his gaze drifting to the trees then back to Dante. "You can't deny that." Then a smile. "As I said, pretty Beatriz could have done it."

"Are you being serious?" Beatriz said, her eyes a storm to be unleashed at his tone. At the nerve.

"You are in line for the head of the family." Camillo observed, winking towards her to which Beatriz gagged in reply. He said to no one in particular. "Perhaps a bit of brushing off the competition is well in plan in your family. I know it is in mine."

It was as if Isla's green hair frazzled in reply as she tightened towards him. "The Valencio's are not as cutthroat as you think they are. At least they have some decency."

"Really?" Camillo drawled, the tilt of his smile beckoning anything other than kindness. "Is that what you mean after you attacked me in my own home? Sending me to a coma for two months? Is that your so called decency?"

Connections ripped through Josephine, as infidelities formed truths and realities. Dante was the one who harmed Camillo? Josephine questioned. No, it couldn't have been. Dante couldn't have been the one to do that for his—

Well. Josephine didn't know why. She had no idea. It seemed more like Dante's family, as Josephine watched his demeanor and the sickly shade of disgust he engraved towards Camillo and his friends, was the one to hurt Camillo. But from what she could assume, Dante's family was a fury of another hell.

They all acted like it. At least that was the case.

"You deserved it," The hoop-eared girl said promptly revealing a small smile from Isla.

Camillo tsked, and strode towards his sister. "All this eye for an eye bullshit. Deena, aren't you tire of this endless cycle?" He waved a hand in the chilly, autumn air. "One man dies and then another has to die in his name. It's quite tiring trying to keep up."

Hoop-eared girl, now named Deena, levied a stare. "Blood for blood." Was all she said.

"Ah yes," He agreed  with her answer, dark shadows casting his face.  "I know it is the way of life but it's still annoying." He lifted his chin, revealing another awful smile. "As onto my condition, I need that target your family placed on my back gone."

Beatriz stood. This was not what was promised, nor asked. "Condition? What condition? I thought you wanted peace."

He tutted, sliding his fingers into denim pockets. "All presents come with strings, Beatriz. So I need you to do your part and I'll do mine."

She gritted her teeth. "What do you want us to do?"

"Just what I told you." Camillo said, his voice void of humor. "The bloodshed you've got all pent up...don't put any of it on me."

Hehe

Hehe. I feel like I'm dragging this scene on too long, but it's pretty important and I love writing drama.

I swear the next chapter will finally close the scene, and make hell on earth! (You'll all be proud of me.)

What do you think of everyone? Who's your favorite so far?

I also wanted to say that you all so much for two-hundred views. It's almost been a month and I couldn't have done this without any of you. I love you all so much.

-Mel

Vote. Comment. Enjoy.