58

"I still have questions for you." She huffed, steering her away from the prey she was meant to corner and another predator to whisper things in her ears. Luca only gave her a pitiful smile.

She was being dragged, half-slouching to reach Lucia's short stance. She ripped her arms away. "Can you calm down?"

Lucia's teeth were unnervingly white. "I thought our alibis were cleared. What changed?"

Josephine rubbed the area of her sweater that had been stretched. For that, she felt petty. "See, the thing is we found some evidence that you weren't actually on a job."

Lucia stiffed. "You didn't mention that."

Josephine's eyes stormed. "Yeah, well, sorry if I didn't want to confront you in front of your brother and Valentina. Let alone Camillo."

Lucia looked wide awake. Anxious even, but it seemed more feral. "Does he know?" She knew it was about Camillo.

"No." Josephine lied. For safe measure, she added, "But I'm not sure. Camillo and Dante have their own talks that take place without me."

She watched, expectant, as Lucia began to unravel. It started with a hand through her reddish hair, then the biting of lips. She swallowed, and it was over. Her face descended into a scowl, turning once more, then walked away.

It took a moment to realize she was leaving before Josephine was hurrying after her. "Are you going to tell me what you were doing?" She said.

"No." Lucia's voice was flat.

"You have to be kidding me." Josephine was incredulous, but Lucia kept strutted on."They have evidence, Lucia. They're going to start suspecting you when they find out that your alibi doesn't check out."

Lucia trailed after a bridge. "There's no evidence of me at the bar."

Josephine went after her. "There are pictures of you in the safe!"

She hissed. "I didn't kill Hugo."

"You really think Dante's going to believe that?"

"I have Camillo."

Josephine laughed. "Who you lied to. You're probably doing some shady mafia deals behind his back, I don't know! So I suggest you either tell me the truth or come up with a really good lie. Do you really think Camillo will defend after he finds that you've been lying?" Same for Valentina. For her brother.

Lucia stopped. They were in an alley, alone. "How much do they know?"

"They know that you were meeting with the wives of some business owners." Josephine was out of breath from shouting, but she didn't see the harm in telling her. Dante already knew the truth. So did Camillo. When killers tried to cover their trail after a lead, they became sloppy. Lucia would be no different. It was only the matter of who was the predator and the prey.

Lucia turned. Despite her short posture, she was as solid as a mountain. "Tell Dante I'm not gonna answer any questions. I don't care if Camillo finds out, either. They can try if they want to, but I won't budge."

"What is so bad that you can't just say?" Josephine said, mind rambling. She was meeting with wives. As far as she knew, wives were powerless in the mafia. What could be so detrimental that even telling Camillo was a problem?

Lucia held her tongue. Fine.

Then she said, "Do you like jewelry?"

"Excuse me?"

"Like bracelets," Josephine explained. She was just making sure that it was Valentina's bracelet. "You know, the kind with flowers, glitter—"

Lucia hissed. "I'd rather die than wear something sparkly."