50

She swallowed hard, her throat burning." Thank you, Dante." She rasped, afraid to say the most horrid things. "Thank you for that." Dante kept quiet, but she went on. "I'm not making any excuses for my past actions. I'm brutally honest and it makes me sound bitchy. And sometimes I like to make fun of others, but never have I once disobeyed to you. Even when you kept insulting me I did nothing. But you know, I still have feelings, and I can cry." Her voice lowered. "A fact that you would never know."

Dante didn't so much as blink. "We're leaving," He informed her, turning for the door. He didn't want to hear this.

But Josephine did. For herself. She seized his arm with as much power as an iron fortress and gripped it so hard she could feel his bones. His eyes snapped. "Even though everyone thinks I'm mean and spoiled, I'm not blind. You call me vain and yet you don't even bother to look at yourself in the mirror." Every word, she didn't know if it was for her father or for Dante. "You look at people as if they're nothing more than toys. You treat us like we're a pack of dogs. All this time I've seen everyone stand for you and you just don't care."

Dante bared his teeth underneath her grip. "You don't know anything."

"Is that what you think when you give Beatriz orders like she's your butler? When you don't even treat her like she's your sister? We can't forget about Houston. He's also your brother, isn't he?" No reaction. "Maybe everyone's coddling you because you're the new heir and they just forgot to tell you how much of an asshole you really are, but I won't." She dragged him over to look into her hateful eyes. "I'm done Dante. I swear to god if you ever insult me one more time, I am leaving."

"Or what?" He said, close enough to see his jaw tightened. "You do anything and I'll kill you and your family."

"The Valencio heir would go out of his way to kill a rich family because a stupid little girl wouldn't follow his orders." This time, her voice wasn't breaking. "I'm honored."

"I'm not related to Houston," He began, unraveling in that fury he kept so delicately concealed. "He's the son of some crack whore locked away and I don't have time to pick up after his mistakes. And Beatriz is only here because she can help. Houston too. If they weren't useful, then they wouldn't be here at all." His eyes were venomous. "The only reason I'm keeping you alive is because you're attractive enough to seduce Camillo. If you were anything less, I'd dispose of you like them."

Josephine laughed, gasping at the truth. "You're incapable of being a good person. You can justify it all you want, but at the end of the day the reason why you're alone is because of you. Is that what you want? Is that what Hugo wanted?"

Dante whorled. "Don't you ever mention his name. You don't know anything—"

"Save me the sob story, Dante. I don't care about your stupid brother." He straightened, that unleashed fury crawling in. Towards something predator. "You're letting someone who's dead ruin all of your current relationships. For what? For everyone to run after you? Do you want me to feel bad for you?"

"I don't want your pity." He spat, shaking so hard like he was about to explode." I don't want anything to do with you."

She scoffed. "At least we agree on something."

"I'll do it." He breathed. She didn't flinch. "I'll kill you."

"You're a coward." She said, unafraid of everything. The poison consumed her, slithering in her lungs. So she echoed his own words. She thought of Houston, she thought of Beatriz. "You should have been the one that died, not your brother."

She didn't wait for a reaction, she simply left.

Before he could lash out.

Outside the building, the sun had already peaked and had begun slowly caving down it's steady decline. The cloud had managed to cover whatever scraps of sunlight that still poured, making the streets more bearable. She spotted Isla first with her vivid green hair next to a very lazy Houston and stiff Beatriz, nearly opposites. They caught her walking over, her normal spirit replaced by a glump, and raised their veils of confusion.