36

She expected to find a car on the streets outside, but found it empty. They planned to return on foot. The vast walkways of Jubilee Lane were empty as well. Josephine did not know how to react, her mind was shrouded in a blanket of misery and the lack of activity in the streets did nothing to soothe her. Neither Beatriz or Dante had spoken for a while. Not even offering a look at the other or that of consolidation for their fallen brother. Apparently, what Camillo had said had struck a nerve. But that nerve throbbed with truth.

After minutes of silence, Dante began firing questions one after the one towards Beatriz who answered with a firm mentality as if the new hadn't fazed her. Or maybe it did. With the way they were walking, backs turned towards Josephine, both of them seemed inclined to leave her behind who was souring over being the third-wheel in the midst of their dilemma.

"What about security cameras?" Dante said. He had not stopped to slow his pace, and Josephine struggled to reach his.

"None around the bar or the building itself, but they're all over Jubilee Lane." Beatriz answered.

"Who's to stop anyone from returning to the crime scene?" Josephine mumbled awkwardly.

They both ignored her thoroughly.

"We'll do another search at the bar." Dante said, his tone razor-sharp. "I also want all of Jubilee Lane's cameras reviewed that day."

Beatriz said, "It's already been done. They couldn't find anything out of the ordinary."

"Now we have eight subjects to check. I want all of their tracks. I don't care if they were at Jubilee Lane or at the highschool, find it."

There was a flicker of hesitation, but Beatriz nodded. "Got it."

Josephine didn't know why they bothered to bring her at all. First they were ignoring her, and now she had no idea where they were heading. Camillo had taken a different route. She couldn't help but watch the streets as Dante and Beatriz continued bickering over orders and things to attend to. There was the low creek of crickets that crackled throughout the air and the occasional low blow of a siren passing by. In every few paces, Josephine would draw her eyes low when there would be a flat wheeze of an engine or the speeding burr of a vehicle. She cursed herself for not calling for a cab, for not trying to ask.

She needed to stop being so distracted. She hadn't come to complain. Although the idea of bothering Beatriz for a moment or two seemed relieving, she needed to work on her relationship with Dante. Dante who was... still occupied with his brother.

Josephine had known he started suspecting them all the moment she had opened her mouth. There had been that shift, so bare. So uneasy as he dragged her out into the streets to find the answer that painted Hugo's murder.

But Josephine would rather bleed than play along. She had waited far too long before getting a word in. Josephine ran an eye over Dante. At least he was handsome. While she worked her charms, carving out the iron wall he had placed so delicately around his heart, she would find whatever crack to slither inside. Only then could she find his heart and break it.

She debated grabbing Dante's arm outright for his attention, but settled on his hand. "Are you okay?"

He pushed her hand off almost immediately as if she was an open flame, his lips twisting. "I didn't invite you to flirt. You're here because I need answers."

Josephine frowned. "What else do you need to know?"

She should've said it kinder. She should've feigned weakness, hunched her shoulders in defeat and dirtied her eyes with tears. It had worked for Camillo. But she was no Viola. Josephine didn't bite down when fear snapped at her, she stood firm and bit right back.