61

Josephine couldn't believe the women she had just spoken to could do such a thing. Then again, they had only spoken on pleasantries. Her hands found themselves on her hips."And is everyone okay with her doing that?

"No," Beatriz said, voice gutted. "That can't happen."

Josephine nodded. "Which is why we need to keep moving on with the investigation instead of playing dollhouse, drinking expensive wine, and then flirting with the local pimps." All eyes went to Dante.

"I had no choice" His throat rippled. "She told me to bring you all here. Do you really think I want to be making small talk with her entourage?" Given the way he looked in that suit, Josephine thought otherwise. "She invited me here to tell me something about our investigation."

Josephine idly twirled a plume of her coat. "And yet a phone call isn't good enough?"

Houston cracked a grin. "I don't even think she knows that those things exist."

"How she'd tell Dante to be here?" She fed into his play. "By sending a pigeon?"

Dante breathed a rattle of annoyance as Houston continued. "No, that's what the Russos do. We're a bit more animal friendly. We go with pigs."

"Pigs?" Now Beatriz began to scowl. Dante had walked away. "How do you train them?"

Houston said, "We raise them in groups. Actually, Beatriz over here ended up being raised alongside—"

"Shut up. Both of you." Beatriz hissed. Now with the empty company, she decided to rein over his hold of authority. "Let's go. I don't want to catch Cordelia again tonight. Houston you go with Isla. I'll go with Josephine."

That left Josephine to pout. If anything, it'd be far more interesting to bicker with him. Formalities were boring but insults could bring her to smile. Beatriz thought otherwise.

She said, "We'll meet up in an hour. Josephine, let's go." And she took her by the arm and led her away.

With the part in full swing, it was difficult to coast through the floating rounds of onlookers, but somehow Beatriz made it work. The lights dimmed as the roar of laughter and introduction of names that were soon forgotten and silly charade that tipped through every column. They were heading up a staircase in the far end where foolery began and started. Nearly to the second floor, Josephine was truly able to see where the goddess of enjoyment thrived.

They walked along the glass balcony looking out to a pool in the shape of a horseshoe wrapping around the outskirts of the mansion. Some people jumped in fully-clothed, others in swimsuits of primary colors. They found a sofa reclining over the view and decided to lounge for a bit.

Josephine took a macaroon from a nearby plate. She bit into it—strawberry. Beatriz continued watching those below trying not to drown.

Josephine said, "How was seeing your mom?"

She didn't move from her spot. "The same as always. It's not like she even said hi."

"She's totally a bitch."

Beatriz took her first look at her. "I thought you said that she seemed nice."

"Good people can still do bad things, Beatriz. And bad people can do good things." She took another bite of the macaroon, devouring it entirely. "Besides," She went on in a convinced way. "You have a right to be angry."

The true Valencio heir. That was Beatriz but still, her own mother wouldn't even look at her. She'd worry for Dante, the son she chose, but the child she was forced to make didn't exist. Josephine felt cold all over, surprised that what she was seeing was not Beatriz's. It was meant to. And yet...