46

Josephine received a call later that day from Camillo. Maybe he didn't fool around with those girls, maybe he did. Either way, Josephine didn't want to know and she told herself she didn't care. Even if Dante was expecting her to form a relationship with Camillo, she didn't care. You couldn't tame a wild animal by taking away all of its prey. You fed it treats, little by little. Until the damn thing was slurping out of your hands like a child.

Camillo had told Josephine he wanted her to figure out why Beatriz had ripped up the note. This didn't mean that she was going along with his theory, no she had a colorful choice of words to that, but Camillo wanted insurance. Even if it was a nasty habit, he needed to be sure. It was her job to find out.

Though it wasn't a direct order, to say that she had a choice in the matter was a lie. So she agreed, and cut their call short when he began to flirt. She hadn't the time for such foolery. Maybe he'd get the idea.

"Hush," said Serenity, her chin resting on Josephine's shoulder. "Look over there."

She did. There was Lexi, swirling a strand of her hair and flirting with none other than Luca Colin. Who, surprisingly, reciprocated the advances. Or at least he looked to be. Josephine would have grinned, if not for the fact that Lexi was waving and flaunting newly blonde hair. It was the exact same color as Josephine's. Instead of a grin, she held a long stare.

Serenity jabbed her shoulder with her sharp chin, trying to get some attention. "Don't be like that. They look cute together, and I've never seen Lexi so happy."

"Good for her for getting it on with Luca," She scoffed. "But if I was Lexi, I would want to be me too." Especially now that she would have what Lexi couldn't: Camillo.

Serenity's snicker meant she was in agreement, but she still said, "You know how much this means to her."

"The hair?"

"No." She handed Josephine the newest edition of this month's fashion magazine. "A new relationship."

Josephine flipped it opened and studied the dresses. Fabrics of velvet layered by lilac pearls, and violet lace. She felt a strange itch to fetch her credit card. "I'm sorry that not all of us are like cats in heat and need a man in our lives to feel valid."

"You're forgetting that you were the one that told her to go out with Luca."

"And I told you to get white hair and bangs freshman year and you looked like Santa's helper for two months. It doesn't mean you have to listen."

Serenity rubbed her forehead, the memory still sore. "I thought it would look good."

"So did I, but we all remember how that turned out." Josephine flipped through another page, and drooled over a satin chemise that looked like marmalade. She made note to buy it later, not even sparing a glance at the price. She turned to the next page.

"Maybe she's sort of copying you—"

"She is." Josephine said.

Serenity looped an arm around her and pulled towards the end of the hallway. An obvious attempt to avoid Lexi. She cut her voice to a low whisper. "But look on the brighter side: at least we don't have to hear her keep whining about Camillo. It gets annoying really fast. One more word and I swear I'm going to staple her lips together. Actually, no, everytime she talks it's about boys. But someone new is enough to keep it interesting for you and for me, and the rest of the cheerleading team."

Josephine liked that idea. She purred, "Wouldn't that just be great? More sob stories to listen to in the locker rooms?"

Serenity giggled, matching her fervent glee. "Brat," She said.