63

Josephine awakened with a jolt. Her shoulder had gone numb—Isla was still asleep on it. She looked around, realizing that she was still in the limousine. She realized that she had nodded off. With her makeup still on.

    Annoyed, she looked to see if they had arrived back. Only that where they were wasn't where they were supposed to be. This was not Jubilee Lane, nor was it her house. Or her school.

They were in front of Camillo's apartment building.

She watched as the scenery grew more familiar. There was no reason why they would be here. They had already finished the task and were done for the night. No interventions on the Russo heir was planned. Though looking around, a sudden chill ran down Josephine's spine. Because Dante wasn't inside with them.

How hard could he endure until snapping? He never told her that he was calm, even if it appeared to be so. She had only watched him angrily stare out the window. It hadn't been known to her that he would still hold some resentment. Because while she was sleeping, Dante must have been simmering throughout the entire ride.

Only to explode when he got where he wanted to be.

Something in her awakened. She shook Isla awake, nudging Houston who had managed to sleep on the dirty floor with the edge of her heel. She found Beatriz passed out in her own cocoon. "Beatriz," She said, her voice sluggish. She tried again. "Beatriz."

She responded with a groan, her nose wrinkling. "What do you want?"

Josephine tried to move but her limbs were still asleep. Prickly, she darted her eyes out the window once more to see if she could find Dante. Only to see him outside. With Camillo. And his friends. Arguing.

She had hardly been able to tell where he was with the color of his suit. She surged upwards, determined to stop whatever brawl was found to happen. Isla fell. A painful moan came out of her.

Josephine had neither the time nor the care for consolidation. She found her balance as she rooted on her feet, clobbering over to the door. Outside the cold air left her clinging to her overnight coat more closely.

Leaving the door open as an alarm for the others to wake up, Dante and Camillo were yelling at each other. Terror rose within her. Her heels clacked as she hurried to approach them.

Once she reached them she was gasping. Heart racing, she managed to say, "Dante, calm down." She knew who the insinuator always was in these situations.

He ignored her. "Stop lying. There's something you're not telling me." Dante said to Camillo, eyes feral. Whatever words had calmed him in the limousine were now forgotten as he was fueled by rage. "I know you're hiding something. Or maybe even a person. One of your friends." The accusation was enough to send Lucia hissing.

Camillo eyed him, knowing well that something had happened to rattle him this much. Even with the realization, he was not amused in the slightest. "And what does that mean?"

Dante said, "Stop acting like an idiot. You know what I mean."

"I don't."

"You're keeping things away from me."

"And you're keeping things away from me," Camillo replied, voice playful. In the way he knew it would antagonize Dante. He was right. It did. Josephine swore.

Valentina was in her sleepwear, so was Camillo. And because she or neither of the twins were doing nothing to intervene, only snarling with balky faces, Josephine would. "Guys, it's the middle of the night. I don't have the time or the energy to stop you both. Let's just talk this out."