Day 420

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 7

I open the lights in the meeting room as soon as Francine, my marketing head, has finished her presentation. As she switches the presentation to the title slide, I stand up and face the board of directors of the Hera Foundation, our biggest client.

"Do you have any questions? Issues? Concerns?"

Melissa Perez, the representative of Hera Foundation, gives me an inquisitive look. "Yung sa ads na iru-run natin, you mentioned needing a face for the Foundation pero wala kayong binanggit na tao."

"Francine and I discussed this and we figured we need two people for this. Gusto ko sanang kayo na yung pumili? Or if we'll have a volunteer, that would be great. Ayoko kasi iforce yung role sa inyo." I smile, laying my trap.

"I'm fine with volunteering." Maria Perez, the director of the Foundation said.

Maria Perez is Melissa's mother and former beauty queen. She's now known by the general public for being a benefactor, if not director, of several non-profit organizations. If there's anyone I want to be the face of our advertisements for the Hera Foundation, she's the best choice. But her age meant she's not so effective on attracting younger audiences.

"Ahh, yes. Thank you, ma'am Maria. We'll have you on the ads of course, but I was hoping for someone a little younger to be our central figure. You know, so the ads can connect with the next generation."

"How young?" She asked, amused that I have someone else in mind. I wonder if she's upset that I'm not settling in with her.

"Well," I take a step and hold on to the back of Melissa's chair. "Someone around her thirties, preferably female, good looking and really passionate about this project. We need someone who radiates confidence so we can attract a lot of people to join."

Everyone shifts their gaze from me to Melissa who suddenly straightens up in her seat. I stop myself from smiling too wide as I don't want them to realize I'm directing their decision.

"Melissa?" Ma'am Maria said to her youngest daughter. "What do you think?"

Melissa points to herself, visibly shaking. "Ako?"

"Yes, ikaw."

"Ummm..."

"Who do you have in mind?" Ma'am Maria clarifies with a small smile on her face.

Melissa blinks, realizing that no one's suggesting her to be the central figure of the ads, yet.

"Hindi ko sure eh."

"Is miss Marian still involved with the Foundation?" I casually ask as it was Marian who introduced my firm to the Foundation.

"Yes, of course. Pero magpapahinga muna siya. Medyo maselan yung pagbubuntis eh." Ma'am Maria replies, her eyes sparkling at the mention of her eldest daughter.

"I see. Kaya pala hindi ko na siya masyado nakikita." I turn to look at Melissa, "buti na lang andito si Melissa. Mas nagci-click kami eh."

"Si Melissa na lang kaya?" Sir Jeremiah grunts beside Ma'am Maria. He looks like he's tired of playing around. "Bata pa naman siya. Let's show her beside Maria as a mother and daughter tandem."

"Melissa?" I hold on to her shoulders, sensing her tension. "That sounds like a wonderful idea. But what do you think?"

Melissa looks at me with wide eyes. "Umm."

"Umm?" I repeat, coaching her with my eyes to say yes.

Melissa looks at the other people in the room but felt defeated when she realized everyone's on board with the idea already. She lets out a sigh and finally nods. "It's a great idea. I'll be flattered to be the face of the Hera Foundation."