(7) Acting the Part

I slowly open my eyes. I was under a tree, the sun starting to peak out in the sky. I sit up, everywhere in my body feels sore. I looked around at where I was, a beautiful park. Where was I again? Oh right, Brearley burned down, I came here and decided I was going to become a newsboy. I yawn and stretch my arms, I saw a little pond far away from the tree I was under. I slowly walk over to it.

I look in the pond and saw my reflection; my dress and face covered in ash, some leaves and little sticks in my mess of hair. I sighed, I looked like a elf who has been living in the forest by their self for twenty years. I sit down and cup some water into my hands and drink some water. The freshness of the water tastes so good. I start to take some leaves and sticks out of my hair. I start to think how I can look like a newsboy. I knew I wasn't going to clean my face off, newsboys didn't look like clean babies. One thing I knew was that girls being newsboys wasn't super uncommon. But it isn't very ladylike, yelling, looking ragged. (Well I guess I was already ragged,) people wouldn't give a girl acting so unladylike money. So If I wanted to get money faster to go home. I needed to disguise myself as a boy. I finish getting the leaves and sticks out of my hair. I make my sore legs stand up. Now I just needed to find where I can get clothes to disguise myself, and get it for free.

I walk out of Central Park, looks like people were starting to get up. Which meant that soon the newsies would be getting ready to sell newspapers soon. In a rush of panic I start to speed walk and look at the stores. I see a store called Bob's Clothing. I look closer at it and see a alleyway nearby it. Maybe there can be some trashed clothing in a trashcan I could take. I didn't want to get my hands dirty looking in the trash. But at least people wouldn't see or judge me in the alleyway.

I go to the back alleyway of the store, being as quiet as I can be. I'm a little nervous being in a alleyway like this again. That dog could be nearby. I see three trashcans and start to look.

The first trashcan just had old food in it, and it smelled like mold and dead rats. My nose is never going to smell things the same again. The second trashcan was filled with rats inside. A huge mischief of them. I almost screamed because the rats could attack me, I back away from the trash. The rats started to climb out of the trash and run away. After taking a shaky breath I go to the next trashcan. I'm praying at this point that the third trashcan has old clothes inside. I slowly open the lid. Yes! I saw all kinds of different fabrics in there. I start looking through it.

After about ten minutes I find: a pair of gray trousers with a rip in the left knee, a white button up shirt stained with what looks like either beer or maybe lemonade on it, and thankfully I find a brown cap. I quickly change into the clothes. I keep the same shoes I wore to Brearley. Everything was big on me. I stuff my mane of hair into the cap. I look in a puddle and see myself. I looked just like a newsboy! It was almost unreal how much I looked like one. To think today would have been my second day of Brearley... I wonder what mother would think if she saw me like this. She taught me everything about how to act like a proper lady, and I kind of feel guilty about what i'm doing. But I need some way to survive and get back home.