(15) A little drop of rain

(Warning: strong language and mention of blood.) 

I wake up hearing the drumming of rain, of course I get ready quick before anyone else got up. Being as cautious as always. I looked out of a window watching the rain on my bed, putting my socks on. Rain has always been very peaceful to me, it's almost like a lullaby to me. I hear the bell ring, as clear as day. I wait as everyone gets ready, of course in a crazy fashion. I follow everyone down the stairs out into the wet streets.

I walk with the newsies to the church, it seemed like any second a newsie could they would complain about the rain. By the time we got to the nuns everyone was very soaked. I listened to the nuns, (because no other newsie really does,) got bread and coffee. I noticed that the nuns looked sad today, their mood was very off. But that didn't stop some of the newsies from being annoying. (Elmer.) Everyone walks over to the gate, the Delancey's let us in. I buy my normal amount of papers, and get to work selling with Specs. (Because Jack was already gone before I could ask who I was selling with.)

There wasn't many people out in the streets, because y'know. Rain. But I did get a good amount of money when there was someone. Rain and my puppy face go well together. "Y'know, do you's ever think when it's raining that the sky is sad?" Specs asked me as he was cleaning his glasses for the tenth time today. "That's not h-how the sky works Specs." 

"Well it was at least a thought." I could see two men coming into view, they were both middle age and wearing large coats. I take a deep breath and I walk up to them, looking as sad as I can look. "H-h-hello s-sirs, w-w-would y-you l-like t-to b-b-buy a-a p-p-paper." Race would be proud, both of the men look at each other, then back at me. One of them replies. "Kid, ya not fooling  anyone, I get that ya's need money or something. But giving me's big eyes ain't gonna work. How about ya's get a real job." 

"This is a real job sir." Specs said as he came up behind me, I swear that I saw the man's eye twitch. The man gets closer to Specs. "Oh right, like shouting things on da street corn'a is real work." 

"well sir, at least I don't walk around telling people to's get'a real job, what do you even do, walk around being a jack-ass?" I gasped, at what Specs said. The man's whole face is mad, like really mad. As quick as lightning he punches Specs in the face. Specs backs up, covering his nose. I go over to Specs to make sure he was okay, there was blood everywhere on his face. I cover Specs from the man and face him. "How c-could you! You h-have no idea how h-hard we work, what our l-life is like. Just b-because we only sell papers doesn't mean we're t-trash." I'm a little shocked that was I able to speak up like that. But when you mess with my friends, you mess with me. The man just stares at me for a while, still eyeing Specs. "Well kid, you's friend needs ta learn some real manners." He starts to walk away with the other man, as gloomy as the rain. I call after them. "YOU N-NEED TO LEARN H-HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE NICELY." The man turns around and faces me again. "YOU'S KIDS NEVE'A LEARN!" The man runs at me, looking like a monster. As he gets closer to me I sweep my foot out to knock him off of his feet. As he falls down he grabs me down with him. I feel myself fall down on the wet ground, my head hitting hard on the ground. I could kind of see Specs starting to fight the man. It looked mostly like pushing. I feel so tired. I thought I could see blood starting to pool around my head. I feel everything black out.