(25) Hello darkness [2/2]

Everyone stays silent for a while, Ivy speaks up. "We need to find the matches."

"Well yeah Ivy, i'm's sure that's what everyone was thinking."

Ruby of course replied, "could you just shut up for like. Two minutes Ruby?" I hear someone start to move around the room. I try to look around in the dark to see if I can see anything. But everything was pitch black. I listen to the strong wind outside. The blizzard sounded like it was trying to tear the city down. I feel a hand go on my shoulder and almost jump out of my skin. "W-w-who p-put t-their h-hand o-on m-me?" I ask the room. 

"Not me's," Ruby replied.

"it's not Rose or me," Willie added.

"I'm not near anyone, I don't think." Ivy mumbled the last part.

Fear starts to grip my heart after everyone replies. But not a moment later Ruby says, "oh wait, Grace. I's know this because one time we's was walking in da street and she gotta scared. Did da same thing by putting her hand on me." I sigh very loudly. Being in the dark is not fun. 

"I FOUND THEM!" Ivy shouts excitedly, I hear her footsteps move quickly. She picks up something, "COME AROUND ME EVERYONE!" I lead Grace to Ivy's voice. After going to where I think everyone is, I feel a hand touching my leg. I don't like everyone randomly touching me. "Everyone is here!" Rose reports. I heard Ivy moves the matches around. "Okay thank you Rose. Everyone should sit down because it's going to be a while."

We sit on the ground for what felt like forever. We all stayed close to each other to stay warmish. Rose keeps us entertain by talking about why she wants a pet beaver. After almost falling asleep on Willie's shoulder, a light catches my eye. 

"Finally Ivy, it's not like you's took a hour."

"It's not my fault that this candle's is as old as your grandma, Ruby."

The little warmth the candle gives feels amazing. Willie gets up and goes into a dark corner. Before I could ask any questions, Rose asks me. "Alice, what it's like being a newsie?" Rose's green eyes shine in the candle light, I think for a moment then say. "Well, I have to live w-with a lot of boys. You get a n-nickname, I have to be cute to sell p-papers to people. Plus you b-barely make any-"

"What are the other newsies like?" Rose interrupted. 

"Well, a-all of them are annoying. Well mostly one named Romeo but-"

"Are any of them hot?" Ivy joked, flashing a playful smile.

"No one is hot Ivy," Ruby put in.

"There has to be hot people in the world Ruby."

Ruby groaned, "Well to me, everyone is ugly. Even me."

"That's because you're blind, Ruby."

Grace touches my shoulder and mouths something to me. I can't really see what she mouthed in the dark, I ask everyone. "D-do you guys know what Grace a-asked?"

"She asked what your nickname is." Ivy answers.

"Oh w-well, they call me Mouse."

"What a sad nickname, being named after a rat."

"That's not nice Ruby!" Rose pouted.

"Well it's da truth."

Willie comes back with a tin box; the box was dented and a logo on it was chipping away. Willie opens the box and hands everyone something. I look at what it is, it was a large communion wafer. It may not be much but it was something. I thank Willie and quickly eat it. The bit little of food giving me some energy. I look at everyone in the candle light, looks like everyone else ate their wafer as fast as I did, "well, let's thank Jesus or something for letting us eat his body, which isn't very good." Ivy says in a joking manner. Willie takes the box away and goes into the darkness again.

"W-where did you f-find them?" I ask.

Ruby answers, "dunno, Grace most likely knows." Everyone looks at Grace, Grace shrugs her shoulders.

"Well we should be getting to bed, there's nothing else we can do." Willie says, coming back into the candle light. Everyone agrees. I see that everyone starts to lie on the floor, staying close to each other to stay warm. Before I join everyone else, I shake and bush most of the snow off my clothes that was left. I lie close to Willie and Rose. The instant I close my eyes, peace comes to me in sleep.