(14) Newsie School [4/4]

The one thing I instantly notice when I walk into the bedroom was that Davey and Les were here, which was not something that happens everyday. As the other newsies have told me, Davey and Les live with their parents. So I never really see them besides before I go to sell.

"Okay well can you please just not take to long? It's getting dark and our parents get worried really fast." 

"Yeah, yeah. It's not like I's gonna take all evening Davey."

I heard Davey and Race talking, with Les by Davey's side looking all over at the room. "Do you guys really have to live in this place?" Les asked. "Yep, we's living that poor dream." Specs replied from his bed, I see Race notice me. "There you's are Pete, I's got a special guest to help you learn da next way to's sell." Les smiles and waves at me, Race leads us to my bed and we start the lesson.

"Okay da last way i'm's gonna teach ya ta sell is to's be cute."  Race points to Les with his cigar, "now Les here is still young and cute unlike most of us. So of course he's perfect. Les, show Pete how you normally sell." Les walks up to me, with big wide eyes, and a sad face. "Buy a pape from a lonely, forgotten, orphan?" Les fake coughs which sounds pretty real. Race comes closer to both of us, "okay Pete what Les did to's his face is what we call da puppy face, because who would say no to a sad puppy?"

"Pulitzer." Les said, Race looks at Les. "Well okay Pulitzer would. But most people who have a heart would help a sad puppy." Race looks back at me, "okay Pete. I's want you's ta try doing a puppy face, just have big eyes, and look sad." I think for a moment of my most sad memories,  most of them have already come from being in New York. I take a deep breath and look at Race with my puppy face. I see Race start to smile. "Well Pete, I didn't realize how good ya were at looking sad, let's try something. HEY JACK!" Jack comes over to us, "what is it?"

"You's want ta see how Pete's learn ta sell? Pete, be cute and pretend you's selling ta Jack." I think about what Les did and think of my sad thoughts again, I look Jack in the eyes. "E-e-excuse m-me S-sir? I-I w-was j-j-just w-wonderi-ing i-if y-you w-w-want t-to b-b-buy a-a p-paper." Jack crosses his arms and smiles. "Wow Race, for once's you didn't make a mistake."

"You's one ta say Jack, at least I didn't leave during da-"

"Okay Racer that's enough, with Pete's stutt'a and his big eyes he's gonna be very popular on da streets." I don't really know how I feel about being popular, I don't really want people to notice me. "Can I go now? I want to eat supper." Les said, "Yeah I guess you's should it's getting dark." Jack said as he looked out the window. Les goes back to Davey and I see them leave the room. Race comes closer to my side. "Well Pete, there's really not more I can teach ya about selling, ya best bet for you ta sell is looking cute. Since you's very good at da puppy face,  da next best thing you's can do is actually sell da real customers." Race pats my shoulder then goes to another group of newsies. I sit on my bed and enjoy the evening by being with the newsies.